Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Denial

I recently got into NFCU and applied for their rewards CC.  Unfortunately I was denied, even after two attempts at recon.  I received the letter today with the reason for denial being the following:

Average Credit Limit of Open Credit Cards Reported Last 12 Months

No Open Credit Union Trades Reported in the Last 12 Months

No Real Estate Accounts Reported

I'm recently discharged (April 2017) from Ch 13 bankruptcy so I've basically had no revolving or installment loans.  I'm gathering from the reasons for denial that if I simply show get a couple of accounts open and reporting good history for maybe 6 months that I should be able to re-apply and get approved?  Thoughts?

That being said, I was actually surprised that my Navy Federal credit score is 356/450.  I wasn't expecting it to be so high.

3 REPLIES 3
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Denial

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently got into NFCU and applied for their rewards CC.  Unfortunately I was denied, even after two attempts at recon.  I received the letter today with the reason for denial being the following:

Average Credit Limit of Open Credit Cards Reported Last 12 Months

No Open Credit Union Trades Reported in the Last 12 Months

No Real Estate Accounts Reported

I'm recently discharged (April 2017) from Ch 13 bankruptcy so I've basically had no revolving or installment loans.  I'm gathering from the reasons for denial that if I simply show get a couple of accounts open and reporting good history for maybe 6 months that I should be able to re-apply and get approved?  Thoughts?

That being said, I was actually surprised that my Navy Federal credit score is 356/450.  I wasn't expecting it to be so high.

If you want to start a relationship with NFCU I would suggest getting one of their secured cards.

In a few months you will be golden.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's actually the plan. I'm trying to get money moved over now so I can apply for the secured card in the next couple days.
Message 3 of 4
BIGSTARXXX1
Valued Member

I would have thought the recent nature of the CH 13 discharge would have been the issue - I was denied 11 months after my CH 13 discharge, and my TU score was in the 690's with about 6 positive tradelines.  I was approved for 1K  about 6 months after the initial decline.. I'd try to get your scores into the low 600's first before re-applying,

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.