Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Eligibility Verification?

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU Eligibility Verification?

They shut down my foster-sisters (and I hate that term) account after she was initially approved.  I understand, but it was a big hassle!!!!

Message 11 of 36
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

How long did it take for them to shut down your guys' accounts from the day you joined?
Message 12 of 36
Cracka
Valued Member

It's not shut down yet since I asked them to hold it open for now.

Starting Score: 639
Current Score: 648 EQ, 664 TU
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 36
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

about three weeks.  She had to go into the branch and close the accounts.  Otherwise, she would have had to wait for them to officialy close it and send her a check.  Nobody knew how long it would stay on freeze before closing. 

Message 14 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IIRC, NFCU eligibility requires the sponsor (unless the sponsor is deceased) to be a member before family members can join.
Their security department can be unforgiving and it's best to make sure you have your documents with you when you join unless you are directly eligible.

Message 15 of 36
js0319
Established Contributor

I joined NFCU about 10 days ago, and then sponsored my wife once I joined. I called and was told I was eligible through my deceased grandfather, whom retired from the Air Force as a Master Sargeant. I can provide documentation on that if needed, but they told me that would not be necessary at this point. DW and I opened checking and savings (each), checking lines of credit ($15k each), and credit cards - nRewards at $8k for me and Cash Rewards Signature at $5k for her.

I did have some difficulty with the security department when I applied for the LOC. I get paid every week, I'm salaried, and my YTD summary is only available on my most recent downloadable paystub. They said it looked like I manufactured the stubs since one didn't have YTD info and the weekly deposits were the same amount of money. Long story short, I ended up having to send 4 stubs (two of which were the same stub, but downloaded in different weeks) to show that the YTD info is removed from old stubs, and my previous months statements from my other Credit Union accounts. It was a hassle, and it took 5 days to get it approved, but ultimately I was approved for the full $15k. DW was instantly approved, and her score is only 30 points higher than mine and she makes 1/2 as much as I do.

I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens to our accounts.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 16 of 36
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

You know what? If they (NCFU) are that big of a pain in the *** (freezing and closing accts. along with a FBI/CIA-wanna be security dept.) then I'm glad I'm not eligible. Not worth it IMO just to get a high limit CL.  I'll just stick with USAA and the current credit union I have for now.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 17 of 36
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

=O

This thread scares me.

I was also under the impression that if a family member is military, you can join even if that family member is not a NFCU member.

I called into to apply for membership last week, and it went through okay.

Just told them my sister is a captain in the army, and they asked for her access number.

But I told them that she was not a member, and they proceeded with the application with no further questions (except a note at the end with her name, rank, and branch).

Message 18 of 36
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
That's how I joined and was shut down until I could provide my brothers access number. The security dept explained to me that one cannot join through an eligible member that one needs to be a member first before you can join. The only exemption is a family member that is or was military retired

There seems to be some confusion then. There are Facebook reps telling people a relative only needs to be eligible (active or retired), not a member.

https://www.facebook.com/NavyFederal/posts/361237377254650

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 19 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Credit-hoarder

NFCU is not difficult if you are eligible. Those who are expressing their frustrations are sponsored 'members' and their eligibility must be verified. It's really not that difficult, if you are directly eligible, I have yet to hear of an issue of eligibility or freezing accounts. It's the 'family members' that did not have the documentation or the sponsoring members access number who are on Sec Depts radar.
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.