Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Eligibility and Req Documents

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Eligibility and Req Documents

For some reason, I forgot that my father served in the Marines LOL. So that makes me eligible for NFCU. What documents are required when applying for membership in person as far as proving he did serve goes? Anything else besides military ID? 

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Eligibility and Req Documents

Did he retire from the Core? If not your not a go at this station

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Message 3 of 11
hemi961
Regular Contributor

As the other 2 posts indicate, your father needs to have retired from the Marines in order for you to qualify.  I was never asked for any documentation that my dad had retired from the Navy when I joined, but I had his DD-214 on hand to fax to them if they had asked for it.  Sometimes they require documents and sometimes they don't,

Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I joined in 2008 based on my father retiring from the Navy ( my grandfather retired from the Army ). They didn't  ask me for any documentation regarding my dad.  My son is a member basemembers membership. It is sad that my DH who served in the Air Force ( honorably discharged) is not eligible without his connection to me/son.

I know its been discussed before but it's worth mentioning that those honorably discharged and disabled vets ( receiving funds from the VA) are not eligible.  I hope that they change their eligibility requirements to be inclusive to all who proudly served our country.  

Message 5 of 11
notyours
Contributor

I just spoke to them and they said that my grandfather who was in the army and now a disabled vet makes me eligible. 

Because he gets disability. Which she said was an annuity.

I guess I will find out.

Did they give me wrong info?

GW success 30 day late removed from 2 store accounts.
waiting on Citibank SL GW response --
Message 6 of 11
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

My husband was honorably discharged from the Army. He is a disabled veteran currently rated at 20% disability. When he called, they said he was not eligible for membership. Our new son-in-law is currently serving, so we can now join through our daughter because she joined through him. Good luck!

Message 7 of 11

My understanding of the requirements are not only that the person you want to join thru has or had active military service, but that they must be a member of NFCU as well, or had a verified past account.  I myself and going to try to get an account there, but I am going the DOD Contractor route first, then if I am not accepted, will go through my dad.

Message 8 of 11
starry1
Valued Contributor

They do not have to join.  I joined because my dad is retired army, and he did not join first and has neve rbeen a member of Navy (since he thought he had to be navy to be eligible).

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 9 of 11
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

What I was told is this, if a family member, in my case my father, is medically retired that I am eligible to join even if he is not a member.  The reasoin is that a person who is medically retired still has a military ID AND they have access to a military base.  That is the key to what makes you eligible for membership.  However if a person is medically discharged then they don't have a military ID and therefore are not eligible for membership.

So in simple terms, if the eligible person has a military ID and can enter the military base and you fit the relationship requirements, then you are eligible to join as well.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.