Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU HERE I COME!!!! LOOKIN' FOR THE 411

tag
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU HERE I COME!!!! LOOKIN' FOR THE 411

If you're worried about approval/low starting CL, setting-up direct deposit and boosting your liquid deposit balance by putting some extra cash in there can both have a significant impact.
Message 11 of 23
Dee2
New Contributor

I opened an account with NFCU and set-up direct deposit with my payroll office.  My Equifax Fico is 708.  Approximately 3 to 4 weeks after I opened up my account I received a letter from NFCU encouraging me to apply for the Cash Rewards card (at least I think that was the name of the card).  I had decided not to apply for the card.  About 1 week later I was familiarizing myself with their webpage and online system and came across the online CC application.  Not sure what made me do it but I ended up applying for the Platinum Visa card online and got approved for $15,000 within seconds.  Heck...I didn't want nor need that much, but I figured it sure is nice to have in case of an emergency.

Good Luck!

~Dee

Message 12 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

Thank you all for your advices and encouragement!!  Think I'll do as smallfry suggested and give 'em a call to get started.  How do you fund the $5 by phone?  Do they do electronic check  or credit card, and if it's credit card does it count against the credit card as cash advance??!?!?

I plan to do direct deposit for savings, and may move my direct deposit checking to them as well.

Years ago  when I belonged to a credit union, I can remember encountering issues where pyt wouldnt be accepted from CU checking accounts. Has anybody has any negative  issues with NFCU checking?? 

Hopefully once I'm established,  I'll be approved for a card with them.  Sounds like I have a chance.  My 2 baddies are a PR for a paid state tax lien ($500..long story on other posts) that drops  04-11, and a CO (another long story-other posts) that will drop 06-10.  All other accounts before and after these 2  have perfect payment records and include car loans, mortgage and mortgage re-fi, credit cards and store cards. 

Message Edited by rom828 on 06-02-2009 06:50 AM
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rom828 wrote:

Thank you all for your advices and encouragement!!  Think I'll do as smallfry suggested and give 'em a call to get started.  How do you fund the $5 by phone?  Do they do electronic check  or credit card, and if it's credit card does it count against the credit card as cash advance??!?!?

I plan to do direct deposit for savings, and may move my direct deposit checking to them as well.

Years ago  when I belonged to a credit union, I can remember encountering issues where pyt wouldnt be accepted from CU checking accounts. Has anybody has any negative  issues with NFCU checking?? 

Hopefully once I'm established,  I'll be approved for a card with them.  Sounds like I have a chance.  My 2 baddies are a PR for a paid state tax lien ($500..long story on other posts) that drops  04-11, and a CO (another long story-other posts) that will drop 06-10.  All other accounts before and after these 2  have perfect payment records and include car loans, mortgage and mortgage re-fi, credit cards and store cards. 

If you sign up by phone you will have to mail a check.  They don't accept any funding over the phone.  Plus they will send you a welcome packet in which you will need to complete the manual application and sign it (you will be in the system, but they will require you to fill out the paperwork in addition).

You will be mailed a code for online access registration.  They will also mail you a few temporary checks.

Message 14 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you sign up by phone you will have to mail a check.  They don't accept any funding over the phone.  Plus they will send you a welcome packet in which you will need to complete the manual application and sign it (you will be in the system, but they will require you to fill out the paperwork in addition).

You will be mailed a code for online access registration.  They will also mail you a few temporary checks.

Oh....then I might just follow my first plan and go to their branch.

We had a computer crash yesterday here at the office so today doesnt look good for leaving at all...even for a short while....

but I'm going over there the first chance I get!!   I cannot wait to get started wih them!  

I think this may be one of the best things I've done for myself' 'fiscally'!!

Message 15 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

Just an update:

WooHoo!! 

Just called &  DH & I both have our  member numbers.   WE'RE OFFICIAL!   Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Now we're just waiting on the paperwork and we'll make the deposit to start our savings account; we plan to do direct deposit  also.   May go ahead and move our checking as well.  We've been with same bank  for 15 years, through it's various incarnations, and know the local staff well, so I'm almost hesitant about moving the checking, but from all I've read on this forum, NFCU does not disappoint.

Hopefully after we get established with them, we can get at least one of their CCs and maybe even refi our car loan.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by rom828 on 06-12-2009 09:10 AM
Message 16 of 23
dallascowboyfan
Contributor

FYI my co-worker told me that her credit score is 511 and that she got a loan $2500.00 she also said that she was 1 day late and they called her liker 50 timesSmiley Surprised..lol...

I told DH about NFCU and he called his dad who served in the Air Force he called the local branch and they told him all be needed was his DD14 or his VA card so NFCU here we come.......

Message 17 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

@dallascowboyfan wrote:

FYI my co-worker told me that her credit score is 511 and that she got a loan $2500.00 she also said that she was 1 day late and they called her liker 50 timesSmiley Surprised..lol...

I told DH about NFCU and he called his dad who served in the Air Force he called the local branch and they told him all be needed was his DD14 or his VA card so NFCU here we come.......

They do seem to be pretty generous with loans and CC limits for less than stellar scores.  Considering that, being late with them is probably not a good idea!Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on your impending  membership!!

Message 18 of 23
dallascowboyfan
Contributor

@rom828 wrote:

@dallascowboyfan wrote:

They do seem to be pretty generous with loans and CC limits for less than stellar scores.  Considering that, being late with them is probably not a good idea!Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on your impending  membership!!

Thank you rom828 Smiley Happy will post once we apply....
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score was 665 at time of app and I got 10k limit on Rewards visa.  I'm thinking I should have apped for the MC as well.  It's a great CU.  I just had DH app for a CashRewards card as well.  His EQ was 654 at the time.  If he gets at least $2500, I'm happy.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.