Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU....I"m in!!!!!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU....I"m in!!!!!!!!!!

So I found out today they accepted my membership as a contractor but I have to wait to get the welcome letter to log in, any way around this?? So is there preapprovals or do I have to apply for each product? Do they hard pull for each one or is the CR good for a month? I'm after the visa nd Navline. USAA just gave me 15,000 CL so navy should be good right? Thanks
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU....I"m in!!!!!!!!!!

CongratulationsSmiley Wink on the approval in Navy...I hear they're a very nice credit union to be with. I don't qualify because I'm not military but their are other nice credit unions out there to join.
Message 2 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't remember exactly how it worked for me, but I called in and they set everything up for me over the phone (the account log-in, etc.)

Have a Notepad/ Sticky open on your computer when you do and be prepared to type in a bunch of numbers, passwords created on the spot, etc.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 11
Cstl05
Contributor

sorry for my ignorance but to get an NFCU and  USAA you have to be in the military?
Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 4 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Not necessarily.

USAA eligibility

Navy eligibility

Read through, and do a mental walk-through to see if you might fit one of these categories.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 11
Cstl05
Contributor

Ah I see, thank you.  It seems they do offer their credit cards to "other" individuals..  Would anyone mind giving me a quick explanation on what the difference is between getting a amex or a chase card vs a credit union?  It seems credit unions give out very generous credit limit.

thanks! 

Message Edited by gl4662 on 02-04-2010 05:41 PM
Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 6 of 11
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on the NFCU membership!!!   

When I joined last month, the rep told me that they don't do preapprovals, you'd have to apply and get hard pulled.  I'm not sure about them using the same report for different products though, I would think that if you call as oppose to applying online, that they might be willing to pull from your most recent report, within a few weeks, not sure though.  One thing to know, NFCU pull EQ exclusively. 

One BIG difference between those banks you mentioned and CU's is that the credit unions are not know to do credit limit decreases and the rates are lower. 

Message Edited by Kiwill on 02-05-2010 08:48 AM

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 7 of 11
Cstl05
Contributor

If some one in the "other" individual catagorie, signed up for a USAA credit card would they have any obligations to the military?
Message 8 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

gl4662 wrote:
If some one in the "other" individual catagorie, signed up for a USAA credit card would they have any obligations to the military?
What, you mean like would they then have to enlist or something?

No, no, USAA was started back in the day by some Army officers, and it markets mostly to military people and family members, but it is not part of the DoD or anything.

Unless I read you wrong and you're asking if you can qualify for the "other" category without any military affiliation, past or present. If so, the answer is yes, you can qualify (= no, you don't have to have any military ties.)
Message 9 of 11
Cstl05
Contributor

AH okay thank you for the reply..  So the only difference between a Credit union and a bank like chase or amex is that the CU gives out a higher CL and doesnt do CLD's?

Thanks 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.