cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Issue

tag

NFCU Issue

So the monday started off with an unfortunate event. I logged into my NFCU account and saw the red exclamation marks....meaning call customer service immediately. I called and they told me that the account had been frozen....that I needed to go to the nearest branch and show my drivers license, proof of residency and social security card. So I went home grabbed my docs and went to their branch (over an hr away). I get there and give the teller the drivers license (which I've already sent to them like 3 times) and a copies of utilities for proof of residency. The only thing I didn't have was my original SS card. I gave them copies of birth certificate, even gave them my passport. Question I have now is...... with the govt shutdown, I can't go get an SS card even if i tried...do you think there is a chance NFCU will accept a copy? If not, what else can i get to them that shows that the social actually belongs to me? tax statements? I asked the teller why they put the acct on freeze, and she couldn't even give a response...she said the notes on the account didn't make sense. 

She did say that the account was still active...not sure what this means...I do have a check that I wrote saturday out of the account....sad part is, the account was active before I wrote the check....what are the chances of them honoring it since the funds are there?

Any advice would be greately appreciated. 

*****************************UPDATE************************************************************************************

I guess after showing NFCU my entire life, I logged in this morning and they asked me to answer some security questions which I answered again.....and then logged back out. When I logged in again, my accounts showed up. So i guess I'm back in business. A lot of hassle to drive to the branch but I guess showing them birth certificate and passport made up for not having ss card. Still no one has been able to tell me why the account got frozen to begin with. I did see that the payments I made to the electric company went through too.

Thanks all.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: NFCU Issue

How long have you had the account? Are you directly eligible or were you sponsored by a relative's service?
Message 2 of 9

lexie,

I've had the account 3 weeks. I am eligible through my parents who are both retired military.  I even let tthem make a copy of birth certificate which shows i was born on base....

Message 3 of 9
CCspoiledbrat1
Valued Member

Please don't write yourself a check!! After reading your issue 2x the post is evasive concerning the issue.
Did they close the account due to a fraud alert, membership rights or an identity issue?

Navy is notorious for making sure that they protect their members accounts.

How many branches do you have in your area? I would go and talk to a manager, explain that you misplaced your social security card and due to the govt shutdown the office is closed. Tell them that you need money to survive and if they can release a portion and keep the flag on the account until you bring back the ss card. Start the waterworks (crying) and tell the that you don't have food or gas. This worked at PNC when my wallet was stolen. Ive been with Navy about 1yr. Don't write the check!!!

updated IN THE GARDEN UNTIL: 8/14/14
Cap1$500 |Express$900 |BILLMELATER$500|Shell$200
MarathonGas$200 |NFCUCshRwrdsVisa$2.5K |NFCUGoRwrdsMC$5K
AmazonStore$1.2K |AmazonRewardsVisa$500 |DiscoverIT$500
BUCKLE$500/MACYS CLOSED
Message 4 of 9

I wrote a check on saturday to pay my mortgage. I didn't write it to myself. As of Saturday, the account was fine. When I logged in monday morning and found out that it was frozen, I took the steps to go to the branch immediately. The lady at the branch is saying the account isn't closed...just frozen. She assured me that anything that was supposed to come out of the account still would (but I'm not 100% sure she knows what shes talking about). It can't be a membership elegibility issue  because I know I'm eligible. Both parents are retired military and still work on base and I was born on base. I made sure to give them my birth certificate which shows it. I don't know how they would determine fraud alert because I don't have any fraud alerts on my file. The lady at the bank is saying that the notes on the account don't make sense because I gave her all documentation to show I can definately identify myself. I want to call the branch but can't seem to find a branch number. Everything leads to the 1800 navy number. I would have expected at least my passport and birth certificate to suffice for not having the ORIGINAL ss card. I even offered to give them a signed copy that i keep.

Message 5 of 9

Another Update. NFCU called and said the reason for the security freeze was that I had opened the account online. So i guess if you open your account online, at some point be prepared to show up at a branch to prove yourself. Its weird because when I opened account, I went through the normal security check and then got issued the visa cards. Seems backwards but glad I took the time to go there and it worked itself out in the end.

Message 6 of 9
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Glad everything got sorted out. 

BTW, what sort of security check was there when you opened the account? Was it to prove your identity or your family's? From what I've read on here, it seems anyone can open an account by basically saying a relative was retired military without providing any real proof. But it's not like children and grandchildren are written down on your service record book or anything, so I'm curious how they check on that.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 7 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Which is why the security department will review accounts maybe not the first day but they are definitely monitored. If they cannot find the link ,then your accounts will be frozen until you provide proof of eligibility.
Message 8 of 9

Initially, when I signed up it was via fax because my parents arent NFCU members (but they are military) and I couldn't get past that page on the signup. So when I called to set up my account online they just asked random questions that only I would know. They asked about people in my family as well. So i thought that was it. Until the freeze. But like I said, it looks like when you set up an account online or via phone with NFCU be prepared to go to a branch or expect a freeze. Its worth it in my opinion now that I'm past it and can look forward.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.