Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership

tag
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Membership

Has anybody had some good luck stories about joining NFCU through a grandparent who served in the Military? I called an associate and they keep sending me mixed signals. ugh. They keep saying that DOD benefits are required but my grandfather is a Air Force Retiree. He is willing to give me a copy of his discharge papers and all. Should I get him to apply and pass the membership down or any other advice. It would be a dream come true to become a member of this bank. Thanks in advance

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Membership

Actually he just served in the Korean war and to become a retired airman it is 20 years service : /

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 2 of 4
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

If he is a retiree, and you can prove with documentation that he is your grandfather, then he doesn't have to join for you to join.  One of the questions I was asked is if my parents have access to a base commissary as somehow that is the distinguishing factor in determining what type of retiree my parents are.  I was told that many people are confusing the type of retirement for qualifications.  

I was told that there is retiree status when someone has served 20 years which fully meets the qualification for membership.  Then I was told that there is one other reitree status that poeple are mistaking for a qualifications, and that is a medical discharge versus medically retired because both types recieve benefits from DoD.  And they way to tell the difference is by the type of ID your grandfather has.  If he has a Military ID (which would give him access to the commissary) then you are good, but if he has a VA ID (which would not give him access to the commissary) then you cannot join under him.  

That is what I was told last week and I was able to join.  It is all confusing to me because at first I didn't know what the heck she was talking about, but once I talked with my mother I understood....sort of...LOL!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 4
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

sooo confusing. My grandfather was in WWII with a medical honorable discharge and has an id number. He said they didnt give out cards back then and couldnt finish his stint in the military due to injuries...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.