Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership

tag
CreditUp26
New Contributor

NFCU Membership

I've noticed a lot of people on the boards have NFCU membership and I want their line of credit. Is there a way to get membership if you are not affiliated with the military? I thought my previous government job made me eligible but they shut down all my accounts after realizing it was not. Any tips?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Membership

Suggestions, might not matter...

B/c you said they shut you down, you may be out for good.

How are they characterizing the 'mixed up' of allowing you to open accounts...

ie are they saying you mislead them or are they saying 'our fault'

If they feel (correctly or not) that you tried to pull a fast one they may just pass n you altogether, period.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE being a NFCU member but if you can't get in, there are other pretty cool

places to do business with.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 13
baller4life
Super Contributor

Penfed is a great alternative Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

+1

I've got both.....never a bad idea to have more than one great partner (just in case one has a headacheSmiley Wink )

Message 4 of 13
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Some people have posted about being able to join by making a donation to the navy league. Apparently you would have to inquire in a branch though, they claim it worked and is legit but I still have my doubts. Anyhow unless your related to someone in the military active or retired or employed by a qualifying government agency your probably out of luck. But as Baller said PenFed is an excellent alternative.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have joined the Navy League of the United States. Paid the $55.00 for the membership.

Called into NFCU and have asked 3 different people about eligibility and have been told that it is a manual join process.

"Print the application, fill it out, sign it , include proof of your membership, and then mail it in, or fax it to us"

I joined NLUS last Saturday and still have not gotten anything from NLUS yet.

Once I do, I will be faxing it all in and then crossing my fingers, toes, legs, and arms (not while driving of course) that they let me in!!

Message 6 of 13
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

My dad was in the Navy...That's how I got in.  You can also get in if someone in your household is a member. It can be a room mate.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountryLivin wrote:

My dad was in the Navy...That's how I got in.  You can also get in if someone in your household is a member. It can be a room mate.

This is weird but true....so go rent a room from a member and you're in!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if a parent was military?  The wording on the site seems to indicate they have to be receiving retirement benefits or a pension or something.  What about just a family member who was in for a few years?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

I was just going to recommend Penfed.

I have heard some recent horror stories on here about NFCU.

My father was military (in his youth), and then worked for the DoD, so I was able to join through him.  I actually talked to their CSR, as he has been deceased about 10 years (actually closer to 12...time does fly), and she pointed out that I could get in with ANY affiliation to the Red Cross, INCLUDING donating blood.  So, Penfed is relatively easy to get into (even if there is a banking joke about blood, sweat, and tears, or something like that), and encourages ways to get in.

With Penfed membership, and with those horror stories about NFCU I mentioned, I am very happy with the choice I did make, and encourage the OP to look into it as an alternative.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.