Established Member
mordantmaxim

NFCU, PenFed, USAA

My paternal grandmother was in the Marine Corps, served in the Pacific Theater back in WW2.  She passed away in the late 1960s.  Would I be able to use her service to qualify for any of these three?  For USAA, would it enable me to have "full membership"?  Would I have to supply anything in particular, like the DD 214?

Thanks. 

Starting Score: 748 EX (PSECU 01/12)
Current Score: 748
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: NFCU, PenFed, USAA

[ Edited ]

She would have to have been a member. I remember calling USAA, for example, because I had a grandfather in the Army Air Corps and had several great uncles and uncles who served from WWII through Vietnam. No dice because none of them were members.

ETA....you can join Penfed now without an service affiliation.
Established Contributor
nicemann

Penfed is a great CU....if you have good credit go for a credit card from them.  I hve two and love it!

As of 04/23/2011 - 731 for EQ FICO
As of 03/02/2012 - 779 for TU FICO
As of 12/2010 - 720 - 729 For EX (Chase FICO Score Provided by EX)
New Contributor
LS1

I called NFCU a few weeks ago to ask about eligibility and they confirmed that you have to have someone who is a member of NFCU or was a member at time of their death in order to apply.

Starting Score: TU 652- EQ 658 - EX 668
Current Score: TU 679 - EQ 681 - EX 681 as of 3.13.11
Goal Score: 700 with all 3

Established Member
mordantmaxim

Are there different levels of PenFed membership? Like I can join USAA "lite" membership by supporting an organization; is that the case with PenFed?

Starting Score: 748 EX (PSECU 01/12)
Current Score: 748
Goal Score: 800

Regular Contributor
ficofox

You might just try and apply online for NFCU without any affiliation.  Just select an option from the list and go from there.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

mordantmaxim wrote:

Are there different levels of PenFed membership? Like I can join USAA "lite" membership by supporting an organization; is that the case with PenFed?

No. Once in, you are in, and anyone can join and you can apply for any product. IIRC, there are a couple of different organizations you can join for membership. As mentioned, their lending standards are relatively tough. I remember when I had no baddies and util was around 15-18% and scores in the mid-700s, I was turned down for too high of util.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+