Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Pre-Approval [Pulled the trigger]

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

NFCU Pre-Approval [Pulled the trigger]

Got a pre-approval for the cash rewards card in the mail yesterday from NFCU. 

The offer is good for two months, I think I am going to wait until the end of the offer period. I am starting to think AA from lenders, or FR from AMEX is possible. I think I have like 20 INQs on each report. Way to many new accounts.

My thinking is, if I were to accept the offer now, I would get a high APR and lower limit than if I wait a couple months.

In a couple months some INQs will have aged, and my oldest account will get close to the 2 year mark.

Per credit karma: 693

6% utilization

100% ontime payments

AAoA: 9 months

Total Accounts: 13

Hard INQs: 13

Dergos: 0

Income: about $50k

Recent auto loan still hasn't hit my report.

Approved for $14k at prime plus 11.4%....not great but ehhh okay

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Pre-Approval

@Dustink wrote:

Got a pre-approval for the cash rewards card in the mail yesterday from NFCU. 

The offer is good for two months, I think I am going to wait until the end of the offer period. I am starting to think AA from lenders, or FR from AMEX is possible. I think I have like 20 INQs on each report. Way to many new accounts.

My thinking is, if I were to accept the offer now, I would get a high APR and lower limit than if I wait a couple months.

In a couple months some INQs will have aged, and my oldest account will get close to the 2 year mark.

Per credit karma: 693

6% utilization

100% ontime payments

AAoA: 9 months

Total Accounts: 13

Hard INQs: 13

Dergos: 0

Income: about $50k

Recent auto loan still hasn't hit my report.

Based on the credit lines I see in your signature and the fact that Pre-Approvals from Navy are almost a 100% approved I would just do it now... you are likely to see an instant $25k from them!!! They don't so much care about INQ I don't think.

Message 2 of 19
Scupra
Super Contributor

Agreed with above. I dont think NFCU cares, they just want to give you the highest credit limit they can! haha keep us posted if you do!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

But...what's the harm in waiting till the end of the offer? Approval will still be valid, some of the TLs will age as well as the inq's. unless you need it now, I say wait till May.
Message 4 of 19
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
But...what's the harm in waiting till the end of the offer? Approval will still be valid, some of the TLs will age as well as the inq's. unless you need it now, I say wait till May.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

@I have no need for it now, and I am worried about other lenders. Too many INQs and many new accounts. I also doubt NFCU would approve me for $25k. More like $10k @ 18% APR...yuck. I think after a couple months it will be more like $15k @ 15% APR, still bad but a little better.

I will call them and see if they have an idea of what the terms of the card will be based off a SP.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 19
starry1
Valued Contributor

I like the idea of you waiting, especially if you're at risk for AA or FR.  That offer will still be there in two months.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 7 of 19
Dustink
Valued Contributor

That will give me some time to get my new auto loan paid down as well. 

Message 8 of 19
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Approved with a $14k limit. Prime plus 11.4%. Low limit and high APR for NFCU, but it should improve with time.

Message 9 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Approved with a $14k limit. Prime plus 11.4%. Low limit and high APR for NFCU, but it should improve with time.

Low limit?!!!

I mean I understand people post instant $25k all the time, my partner currently has $35k but $14 looks like nearly double your current highest and even if it wasn't i usually don't put numbers above 10 in low category Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.