Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Question

tag
jboy1972
New Contributor

NFCU Question

I again ask the FICO gurus for help with a question that got me a little worried.

As some of you know I had a little app spree from April-May and got approved for the cards in my sig. I joined NFCU through a family member(cousin) currently living here with me. Since I needed a credit union for my arsenal, I was looking into PENFED or going through a local CU. I was giddy when I saw mail from NFCU that was sent to her. I asked if she was a member and if I can join through her. She said sure, and that she was a member for 2 yrs. I said great!

Well today I was presented with a dilemma, She said that her CU(NFCU), has called her, and was told to submit some paperwork for routine eligibility and update their files.  Long story short, she doesn't have the proper documents, and her eligibility was through a household member who now is currently deceased prior to moving  here....uh-oh!!

Now  my question:

As you know through my sig, I have a CC with NFCU- $11,000 CL, my highest TL to date. Regardless I haven't used it yet and is reporting 0/11000

If her account gets shut down somehow,( I hope to God its not!) what happens to my eligibility when they update my file? I just got my debit and welcome package... not to mention the 2 HP (1 for membership the other for CC app)

Please advise... Im puling hairs today...And I thought this was a beautiful day..Smiley Sad

NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Re: NFCU Question

I wouldn't worry about it. 

Message 2 of 7
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

They would shutdown your account as well because they did it to me as well. But lucky for me I was able to sweet talk the someone on the branch and was able to join.
Message 3 of 7
jboy1972
New Contributor

@kampfer09 Thanks for the response,  I have no problem going to the branch if worst case scenario her accounts get shut down. Any advice as to how to sweet talk them. I say that because I am non-military going into a military CU...Smiley Happy

NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

Message 4 of 7
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@kampfer09 wrote:
They would shutdown your account as well because they did it to me as well. But lucky for me I was able to sweet talk the someone on the branch and was able to join.

I'm really surprised!

Message 5 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

If your cousin's eligibility was good and it's just a matter of documents unavailable then NFCU CS will probably go out of their way to work with her and find what they need. Just because the member she joined through is deceased does not mean that their records are destroyed everywhere. If the cousin's original eligibility was shaky then there may be a problem. But I wouldn't sweat it until you talk to their CS.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
jboy1972
New Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope

Thanks for the support! Well I'm a long time lurker of this forum but just recently dived into the credit card world  and the stories i hear from NFCU being the top-rated CU to join if your eligible, was a gold mine for me. I jumped at that opportunity...who wouldn't..

Ive read stories of accounts being shut down due to ineligibility and customer service being NOT knowledgeable with who's eligible or not.  She has two weeks to comply or possible locked accounts on her... She will call them on the weekend..(cross fingers)..I will due my due-diligence to see that MY accounts don't suffer the same fate later on in the near future..hence my question posted..

Thanks for the support and will keep you updated!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.