Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Requirements

tag
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Requirements

Both my wife and I have grandfathers that were in the service for many years. I was told I may be eligible for membership. I was going to apply today over the phone and the agent asked me if they had DOD benefits and VA assistance is not valid to become a member. They all fought the good fight so I am wondering what I should do if they do not have the DOD benefits.. Why would they count us out if on their website it says any member or retiree?? I really want to bank with them.

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Requirements

From their website: https://www.navyfederal.org/about/eligibility-checklist.php

Eligibility Checklist Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration.

If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All Delayed Entry Program (DEP) Personnel All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Pizzadude thanks, Yea thats what I read. Im not sure why she is asking me if my grandfather has DOD benefits? And if he had access to the base facilities after his term of service.. I am waiting for my grandad to call me back.

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 3 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'm guessing that they are trying to determine if he qualifies for membership as a retiree.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You might want to call back and talk with a different rep. Sometimes they are misinformed, like any CS. 

Unfortunately, just having served in the military isn't sufficient for m'ship for either of you. Current military can join, and their families. But former military need to have served and retired from the military. So they would be career military, not "just" having served during a war for example. I think it's an unfair policy, especially since people have joined because they were a far removed relationship to someone who worked for a DOD contractor, and there was no service to the military at all. And a former vet can't join unless they were a career military who retired from the military. But I don't make the rules... They do. Smiley Frustrated

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 13
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

You might want to call back and talk with a different rep. Sometimes they are misinformed, like any CS. 

Unfortunately, just having served in the military isn't sufficient for m'ship for either of you. Current military can join, and their families. But former military need to have served and retired from the military. So they would be career military, not "just" having served during a war for example. I think it's an unfair policy, especially since people have joined because they were a far removed relationship to someone who worked for a DOD contractor, and there was no service to the military at all. And a former vet can't join unless they were a career military who retired from the military. But I don't make the rules... They do. Smiley Frustrated

I agree its not fair to deny any veteran from joining. The rules also have grey areas.If the op's grandparents had an open account with nfcu with a few bucks in it all this time then that could be the loophole to get in.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 6 of 13
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Thats disapointing. We fought hard but it doesnt look like we can make it in. Maybe Ill write the chairman

Message 7 of 13
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

soooo bummmmmeed

Message 8 of 13
starry1
Valued Contributor

Yes, they have to be either active duty or retired from the military. When i called to make sure my father was eligible, even though he is both a Vietnam and Koream war vet, they said he has to have full retirement benefits, as in can still go on bases and shop, etc. Since he does, i asked him to join and bring the whole family in for the great benefits. I would have been ticked off if my dad, who earned two purple hearts and a bronze star, wasn't eligible after all he gave this country.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 9 of 13
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

So sad. Both of my grandfathers fought hard one in D-Day and one in the Korean War. Maybe I will talk to an executive and see what he can do for our family

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.