NFCU Restriction Security Department

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Restriction Security Department

@MaisCher wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@MaisCher wrote:

I think NFCU is aware that people want in so I have to think that several people joining under the same sponsor, immediately opening multiple credit products and subsequently maxing them out is a huge red flag. Then again, that's something entirely different than member eligibility and I thought that's all the security group handled.

How are you eligible to be a member?  

Agreed... I'm amazed at how NFCU just tosses $10k-$25k credit accounts at people with profiles that haven't had that kind of account before.... I've seen quite a few with $2-$3k cards and a $15k NFCU card.

BECU didn't do that for me... they made me wait 6 months after I joined before they even gave me a CC.

The people around here talk about NFCU like they are some slot machine that just spits out $15k credit cards at anyone who qualifies for a membership...

I'm amazed as well and I'm one of those people LOL. When I joined my highest limit was 1.7K. I didn't expect them to give me more than 5K when I joined and when the rep said instantly approved for 10K I was honestly HONESTLY waiting for her to correct herself and say 1K. It's not a horrible thing unless people start to take advantage of it.

I worked relentlessly on my credit until 2009 when I built my home. I got a couple cards in 2010 to start building positive tradelines and then gardened for 4 years. Even though I hadn't had a card with a limit that high I was prepared to handle it responsibly. Heck for the first few days I couldn't even make myself use it lol. In any event, I don't think what NFCU does is a bad thing I just see how it can easily be more of a curse than a blessing if you aren't careful.

Yes, it is odd, and NFCU has done it for years, or at least as long as I have been posting on these forums. But you can pretty much guarantee if you have scores in the low 600s, and a collection or 2 you are looking at a 5k credit line with NFCU, lol. Which isn't a bad thing, by any means, but if one has proven they can't handle even that amount than you would think they would cut back on how free they are with credit. 

Message 21 of 75
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:
Yes, it is odd, and NFCU has done it for years, or at least as long as I have been posting on these forums. But you can pretty much guarantee if you have scores in the low 600s, and a collection or 2 you are looking at a 5k credit line with NFCU, lol. Which isn't a bad thing, by any means, but if one has proven they can't handle even that amount than you would think they would cut back on how free they are with credit. 

I don't know, I just found the letter from when they approved my card in Nov. According to MyFico I had an EQ of like 640 but the paper shows 599. I have 1 unpaid collection from 2011 and I was approved for 10K. Maybe it was my other revolving accounts, mortgage, and 2 car loans. My AAoA is like 4 years so my file isn't thin. 

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 22 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU hasn't become as big and successful as they are by being reckless with their lending practices.  They also are known to be very aggressive if you default or are late with payments.  

Message 23 of 75
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU hasn't become as big and successful as they are by being reckless with their lending practices.  They also are known to be very aggressive if you default or are late with payments.  

I know it's a bit off topic but you're absolutely right Irish!!  I'm pretty sure if they give you enough rope to hang yourself with, they have their institutional safety nets in place to ensure you wished you'd never abused their financial trust lol...no..but seriously 

Back on topic.  Opening new accounts, doing balance transfers to max out the accounts could be a red flag I'm sure but perhaps it's just a simple security issue...such as verification of charges.  What would worry me is that all accounts attached to the initial account are locked out as well.  Perhaps NFCU is thinking one might be dumping 5 tradelines into 1 with the intent of dumping the account.  From their perspective 1 negative TL on a credit report would look much better than 5 negative trade lines.  Either way we're all just speculating and playing devil's advocate but deep down inside hoping for the best outcome.  Good luck to you and all those you sponsored and hopefully it's something simple that can be resolved with a few questions answered and the tap of a few account keys on their end.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 24 of 75
msbia
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I could not agree with you more Irish. NFCU is the largest credit union in the world, and they are lenient when it comes to helping the military community build or rebuild their credit profiles. With that said, they also employ ex-Navy intel to run their security and fraud departments to protect their revenue. I do hope the best for the OP and their extended family. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 25 of 75
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

I don't think anyone is saying they're wreakless because they wouldn't still be around if they weren't. It's just not the norm for most banks or credit unions and I don't believe anyone can dispute that. 

I'm not complaining as my utilization greatly appreciates them. I put a few bucks in my checking/savings every two weeks but thanks to situations like this, I don't see me ever using them as my full time bank though. 

Message 26 of 75
msbia
Established Contributor

@MaisCher wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying they're wreakless because they wouldn't still be around if they weren't. It's just not the norm for most banks or credit unions and I don't believe anyone can dispute that. 

I'm not complaining as my utilization greatly appreciates them. I put a few bucks in my checking/savings every two weeks but thanks to situations like this, I don't see me ever using them as my full time bank though. 

I agree it's not the norm for most banks or credit unions, that's why THIS particular credit union keeps their membership closed to all except a targeted population of military, retirees or DoD workers and their families. They are willing to give that demographic a chance that other banks or CUs won't, but if you misrepresent your membership or default on your payment agreements, trust they will be coming after you. I am always happy to see new people who are rebuilding get approved for credit with NFCU, especially when other banks close their doors on us. 

Im with you too, I have checking and savings but they are not my main bank, USAA is. 

Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 27 of 75
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@msbia wrote:

@MaisCher wrote:

I agree it's not the norm for most banks or credit unions, that's why THIS particular credit union keeps their membership closed to all except a targeted population of military, retirees or DoD workers and their families. They are willing to give that demographic a chance that other banks or CUs won't, but if you misrepresent your membership or default on your payment agreements, trust they will be coming after you. I am always happy to see new people who are rebuilding get approved for credit with NFCU, especially when other banks close their doors on us. 

Im with you too, I have checking and savings but they are not my main bank, USAA is. 

Same here, USAA with an auto transfer every two weeks to navy for 20 bucks. 

I'm not sure about the demographic comment only because of the newer membership criteria. As it stands "Jane can join because her Dad is retired military, her boyfriend John lives with her so now he's a member. He can now sponsor his mom who can now sponsor her siblings, parents, other children etc. None of which may have military affiliation. They started with a very very targeted demographic but now I think it's a little more loose.

Message 28 of 75
msbia
Established Contributor

MaisCher, very good point about sponsorship! This is why the security and fraud team are so vigilant. Unfortunately a lot of legitimate accounts get caught up because they are the original sponsor. It's a deep hole to potentially open. USAA has stayed tough to obtain and their credit products are more mainline bank criteria driven, with 6mo CLI. I love NFCU but prefer USAA overall. 

Back on topic, OP I hope you update the thread when you can. 

Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 29 of 75
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

I think the problem is mutiple people joining and all opening CCs and LOCs and them BTing mutiple cards. When I joined the lady was extremely nice and she kept pushing me to apply for a cc which i really didnt want. Ended up signing up for a card a week later. They gave me 17k but I havent used the card yet. I just wanted to establish some credit with them. I am also a full member at USAA but I havent used them for anything yet. I am mainly a points guy but I got a CR card from NFCU. I figured why not. 

A lot of people here who get into NFCU .. immediately open 1-2 ccs and a LOC just for the hell of it and advised me to do the same but I honeslty have no use for Navcheck LOC. People need to realize sometimes it is not worth getting credit when you need for it.

Anyways sorry for my OT.

BTW my scores are around 800 with very few inq.

Also when I joined the lady was like anyone who lives you can join .. even your stepbrothers and sisters who dont live with you. I was ok that is great but just me is joining. They told me the only proof they would need IF my step siblings were ever asked is my birth certifcate .. their birth certificate and our parents marriage certificate.

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.