cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Secured Card.. Hitting 2 yrs in April! What to do?

tag
jrodzmc09
Contributor

NFCU Secured Card.. Hitting 2 yrs in April! What to do?

Im having this dilemma for the past weeks.. Story here is Ive had my NFCU Secure Nrewards card since Apry il 2011 and still havent had my card unsecured.. Made 2-3 calls to the people at NFCU about getting my card unsecured. Never been late, never maxed out, always PIF. But somehow I am not worthy of a unsecured NFCU CC? Puzzles me. I did increase my CL from the initial $500 to $1000. Don't see how that would affect their decision, instead it should encourage them to let me off the leash. Just saying. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Will probably give them one last chance after this holiday and give them the ultimatum. Smiley Mad

USAA PLATINUM MC: $9.5k | CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED: $5k | NFCU FLAGSHIP REWARDS: $5k | USAA VFW REWARDS: $4k | BARCLAYS FINANCING VISA: $2.3k | CHASE AMAZON REWARDS: $2k | DISCOVER IT: $1k | AMEX BCP: $1K | PAYPAL SC: $1.3k | MACYS: $1.2k | EXPRESS: $600 | NFCU LOC: $2.5k | NFCU AUTO LOAN: $21k
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Secured Card.. Hitting 2 yrs in April! What to do?

Your going to have to app on the new credit card with NFCU ! Just do it with your scores you should have no problem getting a unsecured visa or mastercard

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 2 of 37
starry1
Valued Contributor

They're not talking to you? Why not app for an unsecured card and recon if you have to. Two cards won't hurt you.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 3 of 37
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@starry1 wrote:
They're not talking to you? Why not app for an unsecured card and recon if you have to. Two cards won't hurt you.

+1.  I would just apply for an unsecured card with them, I would bet that you'll be approved.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 37
shols44
Frequent Contributor

+1. App for a new card with them. At 650 Fico, NFCU will definitely approve.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 37
jrodzmc09
Contributor

I know their is a possible chance of my approval for an unsecured card with NFCU, but I didnt want it at the expense of a HP. I just recently got a Barclays Financing Visa $1200 CL on October. So I'm pretty confident on that. Currently disputing some items off my report as well. Thats gonna take time. Got to Comenity Bank and PRA removed off my Experian, waiting for those to jump off my TU. Now that the picture is clearer you might understand why I ld like to just get the card to graduate, get my $1000 deposit and avoid the HP equals happy customer. 

USAA PLATINUM MC: $9.5k | CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED: $5k | NFCU FLAGSHIP REWARDS: $5k | USAA VFW REWARDS: $4k | BARCLAYS FINANCING VISA: $2.3k | CHASE AMAZON REWARDS: $2k | DISCOVER IT: $1k | AMEX BCP: $1K | PAYPAL SC: $1.3k | MACYS: $1.2k | EXPRESS: $600 | NFCU LOC: $2.5k | NFCU AUTO LOAN: $21k
Message 6 of 37
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

I got my secured card with NFCU the same time you did. April of 2011. They did not unsecure my card until Aug/Sep this year, and that was only after I'd finished paying off my loan with them. They then gave me a CLI of $500. But I'd decided that I wasn't going to wait for them to unsecure my card and that I'd try my hand at a regular NRewards card. This was back in February. They approved me for $4k, so I just held onto that card and the secured card for a total of 2 cards.

You can get another card with them before your card unsecures. In fact, according to them, you can have a total of 3 credit cards. I'd try it if I were you. Don't demand anything, just apply.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 37
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Also it's quite possible that you'll get a HP as part of the unsecure process so you may not be able to avoid it. NFCU is very pull happy.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 37
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
Also it's quite possible that you'll get a HP as part of the unsecure process so you may not be able to avoid it. NFCU is very pull happy.

^^ This....And really they are.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I agree with my experience of the secured card, I wish I knew then to stop calling and asking to unsecure but to just apply for a new account because that's not how Bank of America does it, or National City - now PNC, many others either...

It most likely with take a HP to unsecure but Navy seems to want you to just apply for a new card but don't seem to just tell you!

I say don't wait and don't worry about the HP.... That long of relationship with Navy AND a 650+ you should clear $5k on an approval!!!

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.