Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Secured Card question..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Secured Card question..

So when I recently joined NFCU, I immediately acquired their secured card because I did not think I qualified for anything else. After reading the forums and checking with friends and a rep, I figured I actually had a shot for an unsecured card with my score. So I applied for their unsecured cashRewards shortly after and was approved for a $1k CL.

Now is it possible for me to maybe convert that secured card to an unsecured?

I understand I should not close it since these are the only two cards I have at the moment, but it would be nice if they would unsecure it considering that they just awarded me an unsecured card. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Secured Card question..

@Anonymous wrote:

So when I recently joined NFCU, I immediately acquired their secured card because I did not think I qualified for anything else. After reading the forums and checking with friends and a rep, I figured I actually had a shot for an unsecured card with my score. So I applied for their unsecured cashRewards shortly after and was approved for a $1k CL.

I understand I should not close it since these are the only two cards I have at the moment, but it would be nice if they would unsecure it considering that they just awarded me an unsecured card. 

Send them a secure message and ask

Message 2 of 5
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Send them a secure message and ask

I don't think they will.  DW and I have had their secured card going on 3 years and it hasn't unsecured.  They say that after the 12th statement they will start to review the secured account to possibly unsecure.  But ours hasn't.  I have seen threads where people get that card unsecured, but no luck here.  DW has a $4000 goRewards and I have a $3000 cashRewards, both approved early last year when we moved all of our banking to NFCU. 

I called them the day after I got approved for the cashRewards and also SM them, saying the same thing that you are asking.  "why can't it unsecure when you guys just gave me an unsecured line of 3000, and refiananced my car at a way better rate."  They gave what I see as a generic answer about periodically reviewing the account, didn't meet "standards" to unsecure etc (or something like that).  I'd say use it responsibly, pay it, and see what happens after a year Smiley Happy

And congrats on getting in with NFCU...they are SUPERB!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I guess I will give them a call or send a message and see what they say. Hopefully they can do it, but if not  I will still keep it since it's a big part of rebuilding my credit

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, So they did inform me that I would be better off waiting for it to automatically convert in 12/13 months. 

They said if I really needed that deposit back I could either close the secured card or re-apply for the unsecured version, both of which will negatively impact my credit.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.