cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Success Story, But Have a Question!

tag
angieb7
Established Member

NFCU Success Story, But Have a Question!

Okay! So I have been working on cleaning up my credit over a year now and trying to increase my credit score with hopes of buying a house in the near future. I have been a member of NFCU since 2007 and my credit was way horrible. In a year, my scores increased to EQ640 TU597 and don't know EXP. In 2010 I opened a 500.00 secured credit card with NFCU and closed it a year later in good standing. I didn't think could get approved for an unsecured card through NFCU. After reading the success on this forum I said "WTH" I'll give it a try. Well I applied Friday night 8/31 and NFCU called me on Sunday to verify my identity since I have a fraud alert on my credit files. Once they cleared everything they said I would have a decision in 24 hours. Well they were true to their word. I was approved for a 5000.00 credit limit (visa cash rewards). I am so excited never, ever had a limit that big (almost scared me)LOL! They only pulled EQ. I have one question, I have read on this forum that you can apply for a MasterCard and LOC at the same time with NFCU. Should I wait or do it right away?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Success Story, But Have a Question!

If those are your current fico scores I would not push it because those scores are very low and I would be scared they would pull TU.Congrats on the approval. I would go 6 months to a year of on time payments.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 2 of 10
angieb7
Established Member

@calihlove Yeah I was thinking the same thing! I will just wait. Thanks for the advice
Message 3 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the approval !   NFCU is very pull happy, so I'd expect another hard pull if you app for another product.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Navy pulls separately for each app and/or CLI request. From what ive read here, i would expect them to pull tu next. Also, the amount they approve you for with LOC is based on your credit. So, you would probably get very low CL if they approved you. I would wait 6-12 mos and see how your scores are then. You could CLI and app for LOC or MC then.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats !

I applied for the card,LOC and car loan and got 5 pulls from them. They even didnt have a clue why they pulled 5 times. But they agreed ot remove 2 of them.

Message 6 of 10
angieb7
Established Member

Thanks for the information!
Message 7 of 10
angieb7
Established Member

I have an update! I was approved for a $2500 LOC/overdraft protection (which is what I requested) from NFCU. They are the BEST! I am going to wait 6 months before I apply for the MasterCard. Don't want to push the envelope. I eventually want to get a car loan in about 12 months, so I want to build good in-house credit with them and continue to rebuild my credit and increase my credit score.
Message 8 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@angieb7 wrote:
I have an update! I was approved for a $2500 LOC/overdraft protection (which is what I requested) from NFCU. They are the BEST! I am going to wait 6 months before I apply for the MasterCard. Don't want to push the envelope. I eventually want to get a car loan in about 12 months, so I want to build good in-house credit with them and continue to rebuild my credit and increase my credit score.

Congrats!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.