Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU.......VERY LONG STORY!

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

NFCU.......VERY LONG STORY!

Some of you may recall my prior post about Navy Fed and how they allowed me to open up a checking, savings, Cash Rewards siggy and a line of credit. Well, it turned out because of government bureaucracy I was not able to be a member under my current employer. However, my brother was in the Navy and a member of Navy Fed so he told me to use him as a referral. Seems simple enough right, NO WRONG! They gave the hardest time, in fact they were downright rude and rescinded my membership because my I could not prove I was related to my brother. They wanted copies of our birth certificate which we were more than happy to provide. We have the same the father however, my father's name is not listed on  my birth certificate and he's deceased. So they said I could not be a member....BS! I was pissed for a while but I let it go...it could be a blessing is disguise.

As I mention, I opened up a few accounts upon joining. The CashRewards card was closed, they listed the account on my CR's and I took about 3 HP's from then throughout this entire process and they refused to remove them! However, the Line of Credit of $7,500 is listed on my CR's as an open and positive account. When dealing with Navy Fed I realized that their departments do not communicate with each other at all! I'm thinking it's great to have a nice LOC reporting on my CR's that I will never use and will ultimately help with my utilization. I have no intention of bring this to their attention because of the way they treated me and this really does benefit me in the end. The worst they could do is close the LOC which is not a big deal.

Your thoughts???

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU.......VERY LONG STORY!

Well,

I certainly can understand your frustration. As a current NFCU member, I was able to get in with a family member and they haven't questioned it. With that being said, there are always one-off's everywhere but I searched this forum prior to becoming a member and I only saw 1 - 3 negative reviews, albeit, out the several hundred that I combed over. Each situation was unique, to say the least.

Keep your head and keep moving forward. I don't believe NFCU did anything out of spite.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 12
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

As I said, I'm over the entire fiasco! I have great prime cards that kicks Navy Fed's butt around the block!!  My immediate concern is the open LOC scenario.

Message 3 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@WhiteCollar wrote:

As I said, I'm over the entire fiasco! I have great prime cards that kicks Navy Fed's butt around the block!!  My immediate concern is the open LOC scenario.

IMHO,  I wouldn't mess with it....  You don't want to dispute, cause then you could end up with those pesky dispute comments which can cause problems during mortgage process.   As long as its not reporting a balance, just leave it be. 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Well I certainly wouldnt count on it helping your util forever.  Im sure one day they will catch it and report it as closed and if you carry rather large balances on other accounts your util will go up so dont be surprised.

I know what you mean with their security dept.  Theyve locked me out twice.  If they do it again they are done! lol

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 5 of 12
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I joined thru my 18 year old cousin. She lives in cali and im in boston and we dont have same last names. Never had a problem with NFCU.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
I joined thru my 18 year old cousin. She lives in cali and im in boston and we dont have same last names. Never had a problem with NFCU.

Thats odd. must be luck of the draw I guess.  We tried to get my cousin to be a member said he didnt qualify.  Later he moved in with my brother then qualified under the same house hold. He has our last name too.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 7 of 12
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Ive had my father, sister, brother and cousin joined thru me and they didnt have any problems either.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

i got in cause my biological dad was in the Army, it was funny cause my parents divorced when I was 2 so we don't know anything about him anymore if he's even alive. They were like what's his name. Ok we found few under the same name, what's your dad's bday....."i have no idea" lol we need something how can we prove he was a member of the Army? "i can provide my birth certificate, it shows I was born American citizen in Korea" they put me on hold then came back congratulations! lol i guess being born on base is good for something =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

and btw if you move in with your brother or he moves in with you that more than makes you eligible for navy federal.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.