Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU and employment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU and employment

I will be joining NFCU through my brother soon.  I see that they verify employment.  I am a fulltime medical student and Ive had  jobs here and then that when added to my financial aid (scholarships and loans) will be about $30k. But thats including $6 I will make from a job this summer and all the financial aid Ive gotten or will get between between Aug 2011 and July 2012.  Nothing really verifiable.  Will NFCU CC be an option for me?    CK score: 692  FICO from a recent application: 660

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU and employment

I am not a member, but I would have to guess they would.  I would think that any bank would be very friendly to future MDs.

Message 2 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

They don't always verify income -- just sometimes. They give higher CLs and easier approvals to people who bank with them and don't just have their CC. So, you'd be in a better position for a CC if you opened up a checking acct. first (not just a savings share acct required for m'ship.)

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

if they do ask for income all they require is last years w2 if you cannot provide a recent paystub. ive also asked numerous times if indeed having direct deposit with them helps in the chances of approval some reps say yes some say no i guess its a ymmv thing

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  Well my W-2 from last year has a grand total of $1083.33.  Im sure that wont fly too well.  I wonder if there is a student option because I have no way of verifying I have some sort of income unless they would like a copy of my financial aid.

Message 5 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

you can always call and ask like right now lol they are open 24hrs you cant beat that. when i applied last year they called me asking for income verification i told them i didnt have a recent paystub so they then asked for last year w2 that i used for my tax return.

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rootpooty wrote:

you can always call and ask like right now lol they are open 24hrs you cant beat that. when i applied last year they called me asking for income verification i told them i didnt have a recent paystub so they then asked for last year w2 that i used for my tax return.

So I called.lol.. super super super super nice CSR.  She basically said since I will have a new account they will (98% chance) ask for the last 2 pay stubs.  I told her that I would be working this summer and she said wait until I get 2 checks and then apply.   So  actually my brother might not be eligible for NFCU, but she told me that I am eligible through my deceased father.  My dad was in the military for 24 yrs and retired and received retirement pay that my mom receives now.  She said if my dad was eligible at the time of death, then I am eligible.  Good info for those who wanted to know.  

So basically I will wait until the summer, get a couple checks, apply for this card.  She also said it looks good to have a checking acct with them that you are using, it will improve the credit limit.  Looks even better if you have a direct deposit.  I am just going to have my summer job DD into the NFCU account.  

She was so nice that I love this CU already.  She went out of her way to find a way for me to be eligible.  

Message 7 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

sorry about your loss. quick question do you and your brother not have the same dad? if not when you become a member you can then make him eligible to become a member and anyone in your household can then become a member. congrats on being eligible though. many on this forum wish they can join and they cant

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rootpooty wrote:

sorry about your loss. quick question do you and your brother not have the same dad? if not when you become a member you can then make him eligible to become a member and anyone in your household can then become a member. congrats on being eligible though. many on this forum wish they can join and they cant

Thank you. Sorry I was unclear.  I was initially going to join via my brother (who was going to join on his own), but he was in the military for 7 yrs ending in 2006.  Not long enought to get retirement.  She said there is an 8 yr rule for eligibility.  But she didnt know if the 8 year rule began when he joined the military or after he left.  So he potentially isnt eligible, but he might be; he would have to call during normal hours to ask.  But we are both eligible through our Dad.  

Message 9 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

So I called.lol.. super super super super nice CSR.  She basically said since I will have a new account they will (98% chance) ask for the last 2 pay stubs.  I told her that I would be working this summer and she said wait until I get 2 checks and then apply.   So  actually my brother might not be eligible for NFCU, but she told me that I am eligible through my deceased father.  My dad was in the military for 24 yrs and retired and received retirement pay that my mom receives now.  She said if my dad was eligible at the time of death, then I am eligible.  Good info for those who wanted to know.  

So basically I will wait until the summer, get a couple checks, apply for this card.  She also said it looks good to have a checking acct with them that you are using, it will improve the credit limit.  Looks even better if you have a direct deposit.  I am just going to have my summer job DD into the NFCU account.  

She was so nice that I love this CU already.  She went out of her way to find a way for me to be eligible.  

What she told you was accurate, get two pay stubs, go from there.  That's the basic standard for income verification if it's W2.

As for the rest, I didn't know that you could possibly qualify through a deceased parent.  My mother was active-duty Air Force for a number of years, from reading their website I had thought that it was absolutely out.  Thanks for posting about the possibility.

        
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.