NFCU and employment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU and employment

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

you can always call and ask like right now lol they are open 24hrs you cant beat that. when i applied last year they called me asking for income verification i told them i didnt have a recent paystub so they then asked for last year w2 that i used for my tax return.

So I called.lol.. super super super super nice CSR.  She basically said since I will have a new account they will (98% chance) ask for the last 2 pay stubs.  I told her that I would be working this summer and she said wait until I get 2 checks and then apply.   So  actually my brother might not be eligible for NFCU, but she told me that I am eligible through my deceased father.  My dad was in the military for 24 yrs and retired and received retirement pay that my mom receives now.  She said if my dad was eligible at the time of death, then I am eligible.  Good info for those who wanted to know.  

So basically I will wait until the summer, get a couple checks, apply for this card.  She also said it looks good to have a checking acct with them that you are using, it will improve the credit limit.  Looks even better if you have a direct deposit.  I am just going to have my summer job DD into the NFCU account.  

She was so nice that I love this CU already.  She went out of her way to find a way for me to be eligible.  

What she told you was accurate, get two pay stubs, go from there.  That's the basic standard for income verification if it's W2.

As for the rest, I didn't know that you could possibly qualify through a deceased parent.  My mother was active-duty Air Force for a number of years, from reading their website I had thought that it was absolutely out.  Thanks for posting about the possibility.

I didnt  know either! She was really nice and said "we do whatever we can to allow people to join who want to join."  She put me on hold to look up the guidelines and told me the great news.

Message 11 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

They verified  employement for me when I did the Auto refinance, but not for the CC or the membership...

They did not ask my fiance for his check stubs but we sent them in anyways. They have been very nice and generous with us Smiley Happy  Good Luck on getting in, I'm sure that once you're in, you wont want to bank or get a CC from anyone else. They are my favorite to work with by far!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 18
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I am military.  When I applied they asked me for my pay rate, my bah rate, my bas rate, etc.... i just told them over the phone and did not supply any written proof, but they know my rank and can just look that stuff up on the internet if they wanted to.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 13 of 18
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone.  Well my W-2 from last year has a grand total of $1083.33.  Im sure that wont fly too well.  I wonder if there is a student option because I have no way of verifying I have some sort of income unless they would like a copy of my financial aid.

Worth pointing out (and absolutely NOT trying to start a flame war...just trying to be helpful for future reference)...

Financial Aid is NOT income and should not be reported as such. When a bank or credit union asks for income, they are likely asking for EARNED income unless they explicitly mention money sources to the contrary.

I have been down the student road and back, so please know that I am saying this per my own experience and for your benefit. I once had a Key Bank credit card as a university student that received a large CLI as a result of me including financial aid in my income total. Some time later they asked for my financial statements to verify income and were not pleased that my tax return did not match what I reported.

Thankfully, I had a gold payment and account history with them...and my parents had all their business with them as well, so I experienced no adverse action. Just try to exercise caution moving forward because that magic APPROVED can turn to CLOSED ACCOUNT in a hurry when you report income inaccurately.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone.  Well my W-2 from last year has a grand total of $1083.33.  Im sure that wont fly too well.  I wonder if there is a student option because I have no way of verifying I have some sort of income unless they would like a copy of my financial aid.

Worth pointing out (and absolutely NOT trying to start a flame war...just trying to be helpful for future reference)...

Financial Aid is NOT income and should not be reported as such. When a bank or credit union asks for income, they are likely asking for EARNED income unless they explicitly mention money sources to the contrary.

I have been down the student road and back, so please know that I am saying this per my own experience and for your benefit. I once had a Key Bank credit card as a university student that received a large CLI as a result of me including financial aid in my income total. Some time later they asked for my financial statements to verify income and were not pleased that my tax return did not match what I reported.

Thankfully, I had a gold payment and account history with them...and my parents had all their business with them as well, so I experienced no adverse action. Just try to exercise caution moving forward because that magic APPROVED can turn to CLOSED ACCOUNT in a hurry when you report income inaccurately.

I appreciate the response.   I figured this would be the case.  Luckily I will have a legitimate avenue to take this summer.

Message 15 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

you can always call and ask like right now lol they are open 24hrs you cant beat that. when i applied last year they called me asking for income verification i told them i didnt have a recent paystub so they then asked for last year w2 that i used for my tax return.

So I called.lol.. super super super super nice CSR.  She basically said since I will have a new account they will (98% chance) ask for the last 2 pay stubs.  I told her that I would be working this summer and she said wait until I get 2 checks and then apply.   So  actually my brother might not be eligible for NFCU, but she told me that I am eligible through my deceased father.  My dad was in the military for 24 yrs and retired and received retirement pay that my mom receives now.  She said if my dad was eligible at the time of death, then I am eligible.  Good info for those who wanted to know.  

So basically I will wait until the summer, get a couple checks, apply for this card.  She also said it looks good to have a checking acct with them that you are using, it will improve the credit limit.  Looks even better if you have a direct deposit.  I am just going to have my summer job DD into the NFCU account.  

She was so nice that I love this CU already.  She went out of her way to find a way for me to be eligible.  

What she told you was accurate, get two pay stubs, go from there.  That's the basic standard for income verification if it's W2.

As for the rest, I didn't know that you could possibly qualify through a deceased parent.  My mother was active-duty Air Force for a number of years, from reading their website I had thought that it was absolutely out.  Thanks for posting about the possibility.

your only eligible through a deceased parent if a: they were retired military or b: active military who was eligible for retirement

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just successfully joined NFCU! i will have my DD go here this summer.  Should be a great relationship

Message 17 of 18
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just successfully joined NFCU! i will have my DD go here this summer.  Should be a great relationship

Way to go!!!  There's never been a greater first step!!!  Well, except for maybe the one on the moon....

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.