cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU app but grandfather is deceased help!

tag
MESMERIZED815
New Visitor

NFCU app but grandfather is deceased help!

Hi everyone im trying to apply with nfcu, but unfortunetely my grandfather is deceased and theres no way i can find out his last 4 of his social. what should I do? thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU app but grandfather is deceased help!

@MESMERIZED815 wrote:

Hi everyone im trying to apply with nfcu, but unfortunetely my grandfather is deceased and theres no way i can find out his last 4 of his social. what should I do? thanks!

The social security death index usually provides the last 4 digits of the social for deceased persons.  You can search for his record here...
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535

Once you see him listed, just click on his name and it should provide the last 4 if not the entire number.

Good Luck!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
MESMERIZED815
New Visitor

Thank you! i found it! but now my issue is nfcu is saying they cannot find anything on my grandfather . he does not have an access number and is not a member he has been deceased since 81. do i have any other options?

Message 3 of 10
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@MESMERIZED815 wrote:

Thank you! i found it! but now my issue is nfcu is saying they cannot find anything on my grandfather . he does not have an access number and is not a member he has been deceased since 81. do i have any other options?

Hmmm...I'm not sure.
Was your grandfather a member of NFCU when he was alive?

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
isseldor

Just call them to sign up. I tried through the website and it said no info. I called and talked to a rep. Told them my grandfather had passed and grandma was still receiving benefits. They asked if grandma would like to sign up, she's turning 90 this year and "slightly" set in her ways so I said probably not. My dad was in the Air Force as well but not long enough to qualify. The rep said let me ask, came back a minute later and I was accepted. I was also approved for $7500 nRewards card Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@isseldor wrote:

Just call them to sign up. I tried through the website and it said no info. I called and talked to a rep. Told them my grandfather had passed and grandma was still receiving benefits. They asked if grandma would like to sign up, she's turning 90 this year and "slightly" set in her ways so I said probably not. My dad was in the Air Force as well but not long enough to qualify. The rep said let me ask, came back a minute later and I was accepted. I was also approved for $7500 nRewards card Smiley Happy

Thanks for the tip.  My grandfather passed away before I was born, but was in the Army.  I guess I'll drop by the branch (it's actually less than a mile from me) and ask if they'd accept an app.  From what I've been reading here, I'd sure enjoy NFCU as my main bank over Wells Fartogo.

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

When I joined in 08, it was over the phone. My Dad and Gradfather were both deceased and had never heard of NFCU. Unless they have changed, you shouldn't have a problem
Message 7 of 10
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Thank you both very much for the information.  I'm now a member!!!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm very happy about it!  Not only have I read so many awesome things about them here, but there's a branch right down the road!

Message 8 of 10
creditjail
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  Did not work for me...I thought I would give it a try since my step-father (deceased) served in the military but the rep said no...did not ask me any specifics about him just said if he was never a member of NFCU then I would not qualify.  Maybe I will try again some other time.Smiley Sad

FICO scores:EQ- 723 (6/13), TU- 722 (6/13), EX- ?
My Wallet- AMEX BCE-17.5K, Chase Freedom-6k, Cap1- 5K, BMO Harris-5K, Wells Fargo-2K,
Store Cards-Lowes- 8K, Ashley Furniture-6K, American Furniture-2.5K,

Message 9 of 10
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@creditjail wrote:

Congrats!  Did not work for me...I thought I would give it a try since my step-father (deceased) served in the military but the rep said no...did not ask me any specifics about him just said if he was never a member of NFCU then I would not qualify.  Maybe I will try again some other time.Smiley Sad

Sorry to hear that creditjail.  The rep I spoke to did ask me basic info about both my grandfather and father.  I have no idea if either of them were previously members.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.