Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU cash rewards or platinum?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

NFCU cash rewards or platinum?

Please provide your feedback on which one has better benefits?

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU cash rewards or platinum?

@CS800 wrote:

Please provide your feedback on which one has better benefits?

They are not very exciting 1 for 1

Message 2 of 37
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

I have the Flagship and I like the rewards, but I don't think your question is going to get good responses...

What do you consider "better"? As what I consider valuable will most likley not be considered as valuable to you.

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 3 of 37
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I went with the Cash Rewards, but IMO, the real rewards on Navy cards are their frequent $0 fee, 0% APR BT offers. They can't be beat.

Otherwise, I just picked the Cash Rewards for the 1% cash back. Now that I paid off my 0% BT, I'll buy something with the card every now and then to keep it alive.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 37
CS800
Super Contributor

I was talking to the CSR and he said that the platinum has no benefits apart from maybe a lower APR. He even said that it's more for people rebuilding their credit.

So I'm going to stick with the cashreward that I got approved for. At least once I pass $10k on this card, i start getting 1.5% back.

Message 5 of 37
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

I was talking to the CSR and he said that the platinum has no benefits apart from maybe a lower APR. He even said that it's more for people rebuilding their credit.

So I'm going to stick with the cashreward that I got approved for. At least once I pass $10k on this card, i start getting 1.5% back.

The platinum is pretty basic, lower apr...  The cashRewards has a higher APR... cash can be redeemed starting at $20... very easy to redeem the cash by depositing it into your account.

Joey is getting the platinum, as he doesn't spend a lot, we use amex for most of our spending. Plan is to transfer part of the balance off of my cashRewards card... The cashRewards card I have just got used for septic repairs... 4k worth!  I won't be able to pay it off completely before updates, so we are going to spread the balance between my cashRewards card and his Platinum card when he gets approved for it. 

The rewards aren't super exciting on the cashRewards card, but they are decent and easy to redeem. I've been depositing my rewards cash into my daughters new savings account.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 37
CS800
Super Contributor

I'm glad I got the cashrewards then Smiley Happy

The max this card can go for CL is $30K. The Fladship sig goes up to $50K

Message 7 of 37
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

cashRewards card is not bad... the green design is ugly, but I like the fact I can deposit the cash into my daughters account....  Also, holding that card feels different than my other cards... maybe cause the limit is so freaking high.  I swear it weighs more by like a pound!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 37
CS800
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

cashRewards card is not bad... the green design is ugly, but I like the fact I can deposit the cash into my daughters account....  Also, holding that card feels different than my other cards... maybe cause the limit is so freaking high.  I swear it weighs more by like a pound!

LOL, what's your CL on this card?

I think apart from the flagship, that's the best NFCU card

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got the Visa Platinum with the IwoJima raising on it.  I used the card originally when I transfered 3 other cards with higher APR's balances to it with of course the no transfer fee which is stinking sweet not to mention the 18 months 0% APR deal I was getting at the time so I paid it off and then there were none!!  Haha it was one of the best decitions I had made in a long time.  To answer your question though I think you were right to go with the rewards card becasue besides that one time I really haven't used the card at all but they keep giveing me CLI's so its a bad mamma jamma to have!  Who dosen't like Platinum I mean come on!!

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.