Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU chip & pin

tag
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

NFCU chip & pin

I recently received my NFCU CashRewards card with the EMV, and it was chip & pin.

Is anyone yet aware of the CVM embedded in the chip? Chip&Pin Offline? or Chip&Pin Online?

Following oft-cited google sheets has not yet been updated to include the recently offered NFCU cards, so it's not listed:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE#gid=0

If anyone has this information, I'm very curious to know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU chip & pin

Does it ask for a PIN when you use it somewhere with a working chip slot? Also, how do PIN changes work? That might give some sort of clue about whether offline is on there.

Message 2 of 14
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

I haven't got the opportunity to use it with a chip reader terminal yet.

But in the literature that accompanied the card, it said that I can choose my own custom pin, and that it may take a few tries for the pin to register if/once I change the pin.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xerostatus wrote:

I haven't got the opportunity to use it with a chip reader terminal yet.

But in the literature that accompanied the card, it said that I can choose my own custom pin, and that it may take a few tries for the pin to register if/once I change the pin.

Sounds like there's offline PIN. Walmart is probably the best place to try it if you have one nearby.

Message 4 of 14
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

hmm just got a cash rewards card like 2-3 weeks ago and has no chip
CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 5 of 14
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

NFCU has only released the EMV/Chip CC's to a small group and are slowly rolling them out to members (no known selection process in place per reps).  If you're among the group to the receive the EMV/Chip CC's you'll receive notice along with the PIN prior to receiving the CC.  Upon receipt of the card and activation you can call NFCU to request a PIN change over the phone without having to use the one they send out.  

When you use the card where the terminal is enabled to accept the EMV/Chip CC you'll be prompted to enter your PIN to complete the purchase.  On terminals that aren't set up for use of this feature you'll still be able to use the swipe method without having to use your PIN.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zorasmiles wrote:

NFCU has only released the EMV/Chip CC's to a small group and are slowly rolling them out to members (no known selection process in place per reps).  If you're among the group to the receive the EMV/Chip CC's you'll receive notice along with the PIN prior to receiving the CC.  Upon receipt of the card and activation you can call NFCU to request a PIN change over the phone without having to use the one they send out.  

When you use the card where the terminal is enabled to accept the EMV/Chip CC you'll be prompted to enter your PIN to complete the purchase.  On terminals that aren't set up for use of this feature you'll still be able to use the swipe method without having to use your PIN.

Guess I need to call thrm because my Flagship was converted to one with the Chip and I never received any PIN.  I just assumed it was chip and signature

Message 7 of 14
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Zorasmiles wrote:

Guess I need to call thrm because my Flagship was converted to one with the Chip and I never received any PIN.  I just assumed it was chip and signature

Irish.  Yes, call 1-888-842-6328 and work your way through the menu tree for changing your PIN. Once you get a member rep they will change your PIN over the phone after the security verification.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zorasmiles wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Zorasmiles wrote:

Irish.  Yes, call 1-888-842-6328 and work your way through the menu tree for changing your PIN. Once you get a member rep they will change your PIN over the phone after the security verification.

Thank you.

Message 9 of 14
USF813
Frequent Contributor

OP - I was in the first wave of EMV issued by Navy. You can change your pin over the phone with a representative.

A quick data point. If you PC to another card and they send you a non-chip card, your payments will be declined. This happened to me when I switched from GoRewards to cashrewards. It took three departments to figure out what the denial code meant. Fortunately they fed-ex'd me a new chip cashrewards card overnight. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.