Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU, credit card, and inquiry

tag
toytoy
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU, credit card, and inquiry

I just apped last weekend and it was 2 softs. No hards at all. 

Starting Score: EQ 603~TU 613
Current Score: EQ 763~TU 706
Goal Score: 810

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@toytoy wrote:

I just apped last weekend and it was 2 softs. No hards at all. 

Congrats. I would consider these couple stories out of the norm. Most people have reported hards for NFCU, for nearly everything (except CLI's where you are preapproved).

Message 12 of 19
toytoy
Regular Contributor

Wait I hope I didnt confuse anyone. I meant I only received soft pulls to join. They pulled it once but had a fraud alert so they made me send over drivers license and Social security card and then they pulled it again the next day to verify the information. I applied over the phone so I havent received my packet yet but I do have my access number so I can't app for cc, LOC, etc... but I signed my Dad up online right before I applied and tried to refinance his car and they pulled a soft on EQ for joining and a hard ong TU for inquiry. Didn't work out bc they could give him a higher interest rate than what he has. They said I should receive my packet in next couple of days.

How do you know if you are preapproved for anything if you apped over phone and had to wait for welcome packet? I would like a CC (my last for hopefully years), the NavCheck, and see if they can offer me a lower rate for my car which I don't know but if those are going to be individual inquiries each time then yeah I will calm it down and not app for anything else no matter what may come my way.

Message 13 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I believe one way is to click on the "My offers" tab once you're logged into your account online. Beyond that, I'm not sure if they will mail offers to you. I only rec'd a letter inviting me to app for their plat card, but it was not pre-approved, and I didn't want the plat card because it has no rewards.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 19
professorr
Regular Contributor

I wish NAVY was opened to all (like Penfed membership"  I might try SDFCU

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@toytoy wrote:

Wait I hope I didnt confuse anyone. I meant I only received soft pulls to join. They pulled it once but had a fraud alert so they made me send over drivers license and Social security card and then they pulled it again the next day to verify the information. I applied over the phone so I havent received my packet yet but I do have my access number so I can't app for cc, LOC, etc... but I signed my Dad up online right before I applied and tried to refinance his car and they pulled a soft on EQ for joining and a hard ong TU for inquiry. Didn't work out bc they could give him a higher interest rate than what he has. They said I should receive my packet in next couple of days.

How do you know if you are preapproved for anything if you apped over phone and had to wait for welcome packet? I would like a CC (my last for hopefully years), the NavCheck, and see if they can offer me a lower rate for my car which I don't know but if those are going to be individual inquiries each time then yeah I will calm it down and not app for anything else no matter what may come my way.

Usually (YMMV), they will pull a hard even if you're pre-approved I believe. However, if you have a card and they've softed you, you may get a CLI without a hard pull. You won't know, however, until you try to get an increase, so always except a HP with Navy. If you ask for the max and you're preapproved, they'll come back with a counter offer, or instant approval.

Message 16 of 19
toytoy
Regular Contributor

I was wrong all. They pulled 2 softs an 1 hard (got alert this morning). I called and after being transferred to 5 different depts they told me that this is a new policy that they just implemented. They used to pull only softs but now hards for everything so I got 2 softs on TU and 1 hard for joining. Now I am waiting on 2 more hards to show up since I apped for cc and navcheck. Sorry I was incorrect before. 

Message 17 of 19
professorr
Regular Contributor

Ouch

Message 18 of 19
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@professorr wrote:

It use to be they would use the same pull if you applied for a 2nd product within 30days, is that still true?  YOu could apply for another visa and they would just use the EQ they already pulled..

Or is that PenFed

I can verify that is PenFed and it's usually 90 days (HP to join then same pull for CC).  I had heard NFCU operated the same way but seems they HP more often now from what I've heard\read in the past.  But at least they seem generous.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.