Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU credit card

tag
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

NFCU credit card

My friend is in the Navy and getting out in a few months. If he joins NFCU before he gets out and then moves into my house for a few weeks can I join as well under his sponsorship? Then I can apply for a cc through them and hopefully be approved. The thing I'm worried about is if he closes his account with them in the future would it close mine since he sponsored me? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Credit conscience!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU credit card

Once you're in you're in as far as I know. I'm no longer directly eligable, but all that matters is that I was when I joined.

You'd have a more difficult time if you triggered a membership audit I'd wager, but your membership would still be legitimate.
Message 2 of 8
jbsea
Established Contributor

they might ask for prove the he lives there....  he might need something in his name.  I would be very careful with NFCU security.... they are serious about there job.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 3 of 8
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

I think I'll get someone in my family to join then. Do they have to be retired or will it be ok if they only served 4 years?
Credit conscience!
Message 4 of 8
jbsea
Established Contributor

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 8
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@michaels88369 wrote:
I think I'll get someone in my family to join then. Do they have to be retired or will it be ok if they only served 4 years?

They have to have retired. Serving is not enough. Be really careful with the membership requirements - if you don't have a legitimate in, I wouldn't risk it. They are really serious about verification of eligibility. If you search the forums, you'll find some stories of people trying to skate in and running into loads of problems.

I don't think the "let someone live with me" thing will work, either. I have lived with an NFCU member for 5 years (only just realized how great/lucky that was), and we had to provide a TON of documentation. Our address is on all our official things - licenses, lease, tax returns, utilities, etc. They still went through everything VERY thoroughly. Once I was in, they were wonderful and sweet as pie...but I wouldn't mess with them.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have family that meets the requierments they do not have to join to sponser you (but why would they not want to?!?!)! If I were you I would take every step to make sure you get in on the up and up because once your in you will not want to leave. Feb 2014 I joined and since I have moved all my banking to them and I could not be happier. NFCU is a really good partner to have!

Message 7 of 8
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Agreed even got my mortgage through them lol
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.