cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU - do I really need to wait 6 months?

tag
electra
Established Contributor

NFCU - do I really need to wait 6 months?

Hey Folks,

Back in Oct I was approved for a NFCU Signature Rewards card with a CLI of $5k.  My score was 584.  It's since gone up nearly 100 points.  I've been charging and paying off with the exception of this month.  I'm getting close to the max and am worried about taking a hit bc of high utilization.   The reason I can't pay it off right now (paid a little over the minimum so balance due is currently $0) is because I just moved and had humungous moving expenses plus paid a ridiculous amount to IRS to pay off my taxes.  I will be able to pay it off in March when I get my bonus.   I called NFCU and talked to someone about a CLI and she said she'd recommend to wait until April.    My worry is that I will be shopping for a car in March and I don't want to take a hit to my Score for this before getting a loan.    Do you think if I just app through the web site I might get an increase?  I have a pretty high salary, $150k w/o bonus and about $190k with bonus.  Does that help?   Should I just wait until April?

Also, I don't have DD set up yet. Would that help?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
electra
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU - do I really need to wait 6 months?

Couple other notes, I have 3 collections currently reporting plus tax liens from the IRS and FTB.  FTB are paid and very old and will drop within 1.5 years.  The 2 federal are now paid but are more recent and they are whoppers ($85k and $50k).  I am working on getting them withdrawn but that's taking a while.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU - do I really need to wait 6 months?

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule that you have to wait 6 months between increases, but it is recommended for optimal outcome.

I have recently requested a CLI, got the CLI and then exactly two days later went back to ask for an additional CLI.  They asked me to fax in a Leave & Earnings Statement and ... bingo!  All on a soft pull both times. 

Depending on your overall relationship with Navy, I wouldn't recommend trying that, but YMMV.

Message 3 of 15
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I went to the well once before six months and was approve...

I went to the well once before six months and was approved the second time I was smacked down pretty hard, but than again I did ask for way to much.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 4 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

Re: I went to the well once before six months and was approve...

Thanks guys!  Would it be better to maybe try USAA and see if I can open an account with them?  I'm a full member and have auto and rental insurance through them but no bank or CC accounts.    Or, is there another CC I should try?

Message 5 of 15
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Hmmm with your score I would say wait a month or so to raise it by 20 and you have a good shot. How many Inquirys do you have on equifax will determine if you get approved or not.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 6 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

I have 3 inquiries:

1) NFCU from Oct from when I opened account

2) AT&T from 1/28/11 which I believe should drop tomorrow or the next day, right?

3) One from Chase in mid-Dec of last year when I succumbed to temptation in my Amazon cart and applied for the Amazon card...DENIED!!  D'oh!!

So, I think by the time I apply I should have 2.

Message 7 of 15
dodgeball
Established Contributor

You have a shot, I would just wait a little bit. USAA can be conservative

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 8 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

Well, after reading a bunch of threads about people getting CLI's prior to 6 months I did it!!   I tried online and got a message that there was something preventing processing and to call in.  I got a very nice CSR who offered to enter it himself.  He thought the message was bc I hadn't had the account 6 months. He couldn't really give me a good idea about my chances but I decided..what-the-hey...and did it anyway.  I asked for an increase to $10k.  He said they'd let me know within 24 hours.   Going to be on pins and needles until then. Hope I didn't waste a HP!!  Wish me luck!

Message 9 of 15
starry1
Valued Contributor

Good luck!

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.