Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU how long?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

NFCU how long?

So roommate is going to join NFCU, how long does it take to process membership? How long after he applies should I apply? (I'm thinking a week or so) My EQ should be back up to 660 by time I apply, should I expect any problems getting approved?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: NFCU how long?

I applied and was given my access number instantly. In the case of a roommate, I'm not sure what sort of fuss they might kick up over it, since there legitimately isn't a close connection, but from an application standpoiint, as soon as he has his access number, you can use that to apply (with him as your sponsor)

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I have supporting docs, phone number with our address is in his name. I'm not worried about them denying it as I've jumped through all the hoops already. But I want him to be fully in system before I app.

Message 3 of 14
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

before i got married my fiance and i apped at the exact same time we were on speaker phone talking to nfcu they took his info 1st then mine and we also applied for a joint cash rewards as well everthing took about 15mins.about 5 days later membership packet came along with the tax info since you are required to open a saving then the cashrewards card. the best part of all is that nfcu sent me a 0% balance transfer offer last week for 12 months with no fees. whenever you are ready go for it. You will love nfcu trust me.

Message 4 of 14
Elcid89
Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
I have supporting docs, phone number with our address is in his name. I'm not worried about them denying it as I've jumped through all the hoops already. But I want him to be fully in system before I app.

As long as he is given an access number, which he should be, you can do it immediately afterward.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 5 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Do they process apps on Sat?

Message 6 of 14
Elcid89
Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
Do they process apps on Sat?

You can do the entire thing online, but AFAIK they are staffed 24/7. It's a by-product of their member population being all over the world and having limited opportunities to use a phone.

Message 7 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Thanks for info. Roommate is back in town for a couple days before going back out for a week.  I'll see if he wants to app on Sat.  I'll probably just open the savings now and apply for card after my Cap1 statement reports this month (around 28th or so).  Right now my EQ is only 630 as my utilization hasnt been updated (cap1 card was artifically high - 90% utilization.  It will report a zero balance this month).  Prior to the utilization issue my EQ was 661 so should be back around there once then new statement reports.

Any suggestions on products to apply for?  I dont want LOC right now just one card to get my foot in door and will get savings/checking and switch direct deposit over to them.  (It will let me have 7 months relationship with them prior to apping for refi with NFCU later next year).

Message 8 of 14
Elcid89
Contributor

In your case, I would suggest the CashRewards VISA - no AF and 1% back on everything you spend, available immediately as transactions post. You can redeem the rewards cash as a statement credit or transfer it to your cash accounts (savings / checking), whereupon it is available immediately. No waiting for checks or other such garbage.

You can review the terms for the Flagship, but I suspect that the AF might be a drawback for you unless your potential rewards justify it. NFCU issues CashRewards Signatures just as they do Flagship Signatures.

If you don't plan on opening a checking account with them, I wouldn't suggest NAVChek either. They view it as an OD LOC, so the interest rate is higher and it's daily compounding. You can write checks directly against a NAVChek (they send you a complimentary book of NAVChek checks) , but on those terms who would want to?

Message 9 of 14
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I've been told by 2 reps that writing a check against a LOC cannot be done if you have your own cash in a checking account.

I believe most members have it just for a tradeline reporting rather than actually use it. For whatever reason I thought it had a grace period lol.

Anyways to the OP does your DL address match your roommate? When I got my GF to join through me that's how they verified eligibility was through address on DL. Make sure you verify this cause the last thing you want is the security dept freezing your accounts.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.