Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU just graduated my secured card.

tag
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

NFCU just graduated my secured card.

I just figured I would post this here just for future reference for others. My NFCU card unsecured two days ago. I logged in to check my balance to find that it no longer said Secured in the account name. Upon checking my account further I saw that they did not lower my APR but they did double my CL to 1k. The next day they released the hold on the 500 dollars in my savings. So just to recap I received no notice of my card unsecuring and I still haven't. I randomly ran across it while checking my accounts so it was a nice suprise.

I also just called Navy Federal to see about getting a product change on the card and after a few security questions she said my account number would remain the same and that I would receiving my new card in the mail along with program related documents. She did mention since it was the cashRewards card my APR would change but since mine is already 17.99 it couldn't. My oldest tradeline is my NFCU line and since it just turned a year old my APR is naturally going to be high. It took about 5 minutes and was completely pain free. I got the card changed from nRewards to CashRewards.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CasperJack14
Contributor

Re: NFCU just graduated my secured card.

How long did you have the secured card before it graduated to unsecured? Just curious Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Current Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@CasperJack14 wrote:
How long did you have the secured card before it graduated to unsecured? Just curious Smiley Happy

My statement cut on the 25th and it graduated the day after. So it unsecured right after my 12th statement cut. I assume the system does it automatically by judging the monthly softpulls it does.

Message 3 of 12
CasperJack14
Contributor

Ok - thanks Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015
Current Score: 577 EX 9/9/2015

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!! I had a similar experience as weel where my card became unsecured after my 12th statement cycle.  I actually followed up 2 weeks later and requested a CLI. NavyFed raised my card limit from $1200 to $17,500.

Message 5 of 12
Datx
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Just curious, did you have a balance on the card when NFCU unsecured it?

Message 6 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

congrats. whats your current eq fico score? i would risk the hp and ask for a cli and typically every 12 mos you can request an apr decrease. there are many success stories here about this

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 7 of 12
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@Datx wrote:

Congrats! Just curious, did you have a balance on the card when NFCU unsecured it?

Yes, my balance is around 65 dollars right now.

@rootpooty wrote:

congrats. whats your current eq fico score? i would risk the hp and ask for a cli and typically every 12 mos you can request an apr decrease. there are many success stories here about this

I acutally don't have my EQ FICO but when I got my Discover card it said my TU FICO was 726 so I'd imagine they're all fairly similar since they all contain the same exact information and no negatives.

Message 8 of 12
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I keep reading that they no longer unsecure the card in all the reviews so this is promising.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)

Message 9 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Yeah they do. There was a time where they weren't unsecuring them but now they are
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.