cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU membership approved, apply for a cc?

tag
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

NFCU membership approved, apply for a cc?

Hi everyone Smiley Very Happy

I just was approved for my NFCU membership and I logged into my account and noticed a "pre-selected" for an auto loan

Do they show pre-selected offers for their cc's? Or should I just apply for one?

Scores are all mid and upper 600's at the moment, utilization is 8%

Are any of the cc's easier to get approved for than the others?

They hp TU for membership for me, also a sp on equifax

Thanks in advance for any advice!

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU membership approved, apply for a cc?

Are there any derogatory items/baddies on your credit?  If not apply.  I'm not sure how easy it is to get one over another but I've had good success with CashRewards and nRewards.  There are cards with better rewards out there but NFCU gives VERY large limits.  Let that card age 6 months to a year and then you can prob get bigger AMEX, Discover, Feedom cards, etc.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 2 of 8
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

There's a few sallie mae accounts that were closed a few years ago, all show as paid now,

@sailor_mercury wrote:

Are there any derogatory items/baddies on your credit?  If not apply.  I'm not sure how easy it is to get one over another but I've had good success with CashRewards and nRewards.  There are cards with better rewards out there but NFCU gives VERY large limits.  Let that card age 6 months to a year and then you can prob get bigger AMEX, Discover, Feedom cards, etc.

but were derogatory in 2011

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 3 of 8
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@rebuildingcredit1 wrote:

There's a few sallie mae accounts that were closed a few years ago, all show as paid now,

@sailor_mercury wrote:

How late do they show?  30?  120? 150?

In any case they are paid now.  If you apply and are declined they will offer you a secured card.  That was where I started a year ago 4 months later I was approved for an auto loan and 9 months after I opened the secured card I was able to get CashRewards, the inital starting CL was $17,500.  NFCU does have one of the best secured cards.  There are no fees, they you interest on the amount that is being held (ok, it's pennies so it really doesn't matter but it still feels good) and after 12 months of good payments they graduate the card to an unsecured version and sometimes give a CLI and interest rate reduction.  My card graduated a few weeks ago and went from $500 - $3,000 and the interest rate went down by 2%.  Plus they increased my CashRewards card from $17,500 to $20k.

HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 4 of 8
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

@sailor_mercury wrote:

@sailor_mercury wrote:

In any case they are paid now.  If you apply and are declined they will offer you a secured card.  That was where I started a year ago 4 months later I was approved for an auto loan and 9 months after I opened the secured card I was able to get CashRewards, the inital starting CL was $17,500.  NFCU does have one of the best secured cards.  There are no fees, they you interest on the amount that is being held (ok, it's pennies so it really doesn't matter but it still feels good) and after 12 months of good payments they graduate the card to an unsecured version and sometimes give a CLI and interest rate reduction.  My card graduated a few weeks ago and went from $500 - $3,000 and the interest rate went down by 2%.  Plus they increased my CashRewards card from $17,500 to $20k.

120 and thanks for all the helpful info. What is the limit you have to put into the secured card if offered?

Message 5 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

I think you will have NO problem getting approved for a cc and with a five digit limit! Gooooo for it. I had four baddies and 598 Equifax score and got $3k approval! Come on guys. You all know Navy Fed does not nick pick baddies like that! As long as you don't have a recent bk and fico close to 600 plus you are good!!

Message 6 of 8
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@sailor_mercury wrote:

@sailor_mercury wrote:

120 and thanks for all the helpful info. What is the limit you have to put into the secured card if offered?

I think the Min is $500.  That's what I started with and I had thought about putting an additional deposit later but just never got around to it.  I've been a cash person for the most part and we ran any credit items through my husband (now ex).  When we first separated I was shocked to find that I had no credit of my own other than some defaulted student loans (I knew they were in default.. but none of the CCs, cars, or boats appeared on my credit).  I rehabbed my student loans and about a year later started looking to build credit.  I should have started with the NFCU card at least two years earlier but hind sight is 20/20 Smiley Happy

I think my CS was right around 600 when I got the secured card.  It really helped my score, I never would have been able to get my car loan a few months later without it.

If they offer you the secured card and you can affordd to put down the deposit you will still see the money in your savings account.  For instance if you have a $500 secured card it will show your balance and then an avail balance of $500 less, ie Balance $2,000.00, Avail Balance $1,500.00.

But if you're in the Mid 600s I think there is a good chance you will be approved for an unsecured card.

HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 7 of 8
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

Also, if you are approved for an unsecured CC.  Search this forum for Navcheck and see if they can do it on the same pull/inquiry.  Basically it's an open line of credit and you get the benefit of two large tradelines reporting.

Other NFCU memebers can tell you more about it.  For some silly reason the website will not let me apply.  I can apply in branch but I haven't made the effort. 

HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.