Reply
Valued Contributor
nothingman02
Posts: 1,072
Registered: ‎02-15-2009
0

NFCU membership

[ Edited ]

My wife's father, now deceased, retired from the army after 26 years of active service. We had been wondering if we would be eligible to join. So I called quite a few times to check and the following are the responses each different time.

 

1) Yes your wife would be eligible to join if she can send us proof that her father retired from the army. 

2) No. She would not be eligible. Its not enough if her father was in the army. He would have had been a member of the NFCU as well.

3) Yes she is perfectly eligible. No we dont need any documents and if she is right there with you could put her on the phone and she could join right now. (Unfortunately she wasnt there with me)

4) No. She can not join through her father as he is now deceased. She has to join through someone who is still alive and still in the army or have other associations (Present associations and not in the past!!). Essentially, retired would not cut it. One has to be currently in the army.

 

So I am now a little confused. I made many more phone calls and the reasons were always among the above 4. Although most of them said no#1

 

So we went online and applied for and  obtained the DD214 forms  - separation forms - and we received them yesterday. So today we call NFCU and ask if we could join and the first person said NO. Because of no#3

 

I thanked him and hung up an called right back and this time she said we could join right away and we did. She gave us both our access numbers and our savings account numbers and said we should wait for our welcome package. 

No information asked about my wifes father and no documents were requested! So much for waiting and obtaining those separation papers!

 

I was wondering now if we are OK?? I mean the CSR did tell  us we are eligible.So is there any problem one could see here? Did we do anything wrong? Are memberships revoked?

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 07-21-2009 01:54 PM
Regular Contributor
800FICOwannabe
Posts: 165
Registered: ‎04-21-2009
0

Re: NFCU membership

My husband has an honorable discharged (served him time and came home) from the USNAVY - we aren't eligible for membership are we?

 

***********************************************************************
800FICOwannabe

07/01/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 696, TU - 622 (Asset Acceptance reinserted as a new collection)
06/01/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 637, TU - 641
05/04/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 660, TU - 647
04/21/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 711, TU - 642
09/09/08 - Mortgage Enhanced: EQ - 607, EX - 556, TU - 534

***********************************************************************
800FICOwannabe


10/01/09 - FICO scores: 11/05/09: EQ - 722, TU 637 EQ - 713, TU - 622
07/01/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 696, TU - 622 (Asset Acceptance reinserted as a new collection)
06/01/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 637, TU - 641
05/04/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 660, TU - 647
04/21/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 711, TU - 642
09/09/08 - Mortgage Enhanced: EQ - 607, EX - 556, TU - 534
Established Contributor
pattycake
Posts: 760
Registered: ‎04-30-2007
0

Re: NFCU membership

Call them and see if you can get in!  Sounds like they don't train their people very well.  
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Valued Contributor
nothingman02
Posts: 1,072
Registered: ‎02-15-2009
0

Re: NFCU membership


pattycake wrote:
Call them and see if you can get in!  Sounds like they don't train their people very well.  

 

 

I always get one of the 4 responses I mentioned with every call. I dont see going very far calling them again. Maybe someone in particular I could reach perhaps?

Established Contributor
jaybird201
Posts: 672
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0

Re: NFCU membership

[ Edited ]

nothingman02 wrote:

My wife's father, now deceased, retired from the army after 26 years of active service. We had been wondering if we would be eligible to join. So I called quite a few times to check and the following are the responses each different time.

 

1) Yes your wife would be eligible to join if she can send us proof that her father retired from the army. 

2) No. She would not be eligible. Its not enough if her father was in the army. He would have had been a member of the NFCU as well.

3) Yes she is perfectly eligible. No we dont need any documents and if she is right there with you could put her on the phone and she could join right now. (Unfortunately she wasnt there with me)

4) No. She can not join through her father as he is now deceased. She has to join through someone who is still alive and still in the army or have other associations (Present associations and not in the past!!). Essentially, retired would not cut it. One has to be currently in the army.

 

So I am now a little confused. I made many more phone calls and the reasons were always among the above 4. Although most of them said no#1

 

So we went online and applied for and  obtained the DD214 forms  - separation forms - and we received them yesterday. So today we call NFCU and ask if we could join and the first person said NO. Because of no#3

 

I thanked him and hung up an called right back and this time she said we could join right away and we did. She gave us both our access numbers and our savings account numbers and said we should wait for our welcome package. 

No information asked about my wifes father and no documents were requested! So much for waiting and obtaining those separation papers!

 

I was wondering now if we are OK?? I mean the CSR did tell  us we are eligible.So is there any problem one could see here? Did we do anything wrong? Are memberships revoked?

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 07-21-2009 01:54 PM

Based on what you described, I don't think either of your are eligible. Your wife would've only been able to become a member if her father had first become a member and then she signed-up after he had become a member. Occasionally members are asked for documents verifying eligibility, and not providing those documents will preclude them from opening accounts.

 

All that being said, you may have slipped through the cracks and lucked out.

 

In other words, Response #2 was the correct response.

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 07-21-2009 07:02 PM
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: NFCU membership


800FICOwannabe wrote:

My husband has an honorable discharged (served him time and came home) from the USNAVY - we aren't eligible for membership are we?


 

What year was he discharged? You might be eligible for USAA.

USAA eligibility:

 

USAA membership eligibilty

Who is eligible?

Membership is open to:

* Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* Children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1
* National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
* Former military personnel:
o Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
o Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
* Former USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance.


Navy FCU eligibility:

Navy FCU membership eligibility

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration. If you are in any of these categories, you are eligible to join:

* All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force, retirees and annuitants
* All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants
* All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants
* All DoD Officer Candidate programs: Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs
* U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)
* All DoD civilian employees - including retirees and annuitants
* DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations
* Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
Posts: 742
Registered: ‎12-19-2008
0

Re: NFCU membership

NFCU gave me these similar conflicting answers when I joined 1/09 with very similar circumstances. My father retired Navy after twenty five years. However, he has been deceased for more than 10 years. I was able to join because my mother is still alive and receives an annuity from the D.O.D. due to my father's service.

 

Moreover, I  was told by a supervisor in membership the qualifying factor was my mother was a current annuitant.

 

This was explained to me subsequent to another person in membership who said I qualified solely based on my fathers retirement whether he was deceased or not.

 

 

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Lyythine
Posts: 282
Registered: ‎03-05-2009
0

Re: NFCU membership

I have to say, this made me laugh...  Similar to when I joined.  

 

At the time of joining, I was in the Navy JAG corp, serving my first two years on a naval base.  I never used the account until recently - now not working on a base, however, still employed by a DOD subcontractor.  WELL... Ive had a credit card, LOC, etc: then when I went to apply for an auto loan, i was initially denied due to my affiliation not being valid.  I went round and round with the LO explaining that, at the time of joinging I WAS A NAVAL OFFICER!!!  She then said, well - "you aren't now.."  And that just confused me more - like she had no idea what her own criteria are... Anyway, after giving them a letter from my employer stating they do work on naval bases, she was satisfied.  Honestly - It just depends who you get there. Some people have no clue, others have a slight clue, but lack all common sense, great CU however.  

 

I really at the end of the last talk with the LO have her explain how at any point I wasnt eligible, but it just wasnt worth the headache.

 

Good Luck!  IF they screwed up, take their mistake! 

Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: NFCU membership


Lyythine wrote:

I have to say, this made me laugh...  Similar to when I joined.  

 

At the time of joining, I was in the Navy JAG corp, serving my first two years on a naval base.  I never used the account until recently - now not working on a base, however, still employed by a DOD subcontractor.  WELL... Ive had a credit card, LOC, etc: then when I went to apply for an auto loan, i was initially denied due to my affiliation not being valid.  I went round and round with the LO explaining that, at the time of joinging I WAS A NAVAL OFFICER!!!  She then said, well - "you aren't now.."  And that just confused me more - like she had no idea what her own criteria are... Anyway, after giving them a letter from my employer stating they do work on naval bases, she was satisfied.  Honestly - It just depends who you get there. Some people have no clue, others have a slight clue, but lack all common sense, great CU however.  

 

I really at the end of the last talk with the LO have her explain how at any point I wasnt eligible, but it just wasnt worth the headache.

 

Good Luck!  IF they screwed up, take their mistake! 


I would really like to know why a loan officer is looking into the validity of membership affiliation. I have never heard of such a thing at a CU before. What do they have a membership department for?

Valued Contributor
nothingman02
Posts: 1,072
Registered: ‎02-15-2009
0

Re: NFCU membership

[ Edited ]

jaybird201 wrote:

Based on what you described, I don't think either of your are eligible. Your wife would've only been able to become a member if her father had first become a member and then she signed-up after he had become a member. Occasionally members are asked for documents verifying eligibility, and not providing those documents will preclude them from opening accounts.

 

All that being said, you may have slipped through the cracks and lucked out.

 

In other words, Response #2 was the correct response.

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 07-21-2009 07:02 PM

From what I understand, NFCU has been opening up and broadening their membership eligibilities. 

 

If your eligible sponsor is a member of NFCU and has the access #, you could apply and join online.

If the eligible sponsor is not a member of NFCU, you could apply and join over the phone or at the nearest branch. 

Perhaps NFCU havent updated their website yet to effect this change in the eligibility criteria.

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 07-22-2009 02:48 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}