Did you mean: 

NFCU membership

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU membership

@nothingman02 wrote:

@jaybird201 wrote:

Based on what you described, I don't think either of your are eligible. Your wife would've only been able to become a member if her father had first become a member and then she signed-up after he had become a member. Occasionally members are asked for documents verifying eligibility, and not providing those documents will preclude them from opening accounts.

All that being said, you may have slipped through the cracks and lucked out.

In other words, Response #2 was the correct response.

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 07-21-2009 07:02 PM

From what I understand, NFCU has been opening up and broadening their membership eligibilities. 

If your eligible sponsor is a member of NFCU and has the access #, you could apply and join online.

If the eligible sponsor is not a member of NFCU, you could apply and join over the phone or at the nearest branch. 

I dispute that.

I doubt adult dependents without an ID card can do that.

Message 11 of 30
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Adult 'dependents'? ID card?

Message 12 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

nothingman02 wrote:

Adult 'dependents'? ID card?

Military dependents (family members) carry ID cards. They were checked by the MP's when we wanted to get on post, and they let us access the twin Nirvana's of the commissary and PX. Post library, the military hospital, the dollar movie theater (this was in the late 60's/ early 70's), all the necessities of military family life. The sponsor's (active duty member's) name and ID number were on them, I think.

Anyway, we would show them every time we moved, as I recall. I still remember my father's SSN, which was also his military ID number, and he died back in 1980.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 30
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Oh ok. I get it now. Smiley Happy

Well, I didnt mean that the adult dependent could just walk into the branch with no ID or proof of association with the sponsor. In our instance, we had my wifes birth certificate and the her dad's (sponsor) separation papers and ID card from the army ready.

So basically, one could walk into the nearest branch with 'supporting documentation' and join the CU is my understanding.

Or also do it on the phone and fax the documents to them. 

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the problem here is..you really do not understand how the US military works and how it categorizes people.

NFCU Restricts its membership partially based on this.

The big thing is they require an existing member to sponsor someone (in most cases actively and initate the sponsorship, but it has been revealed that if your parent was a member and you can get their access number you can by proving relation use that to open membership without their involvement) who is not otherwise eligible a member.

When someone "retires" from the military they retain enough Military connection to invoke a membership. When they die (natural causes Post retirement) that's it. (Depending on what policies were in effect when they served the spouse retains aspects of this Military connection.)

* Had the Father been an actual member before death, he could sponsor membership.

* If the Father had wanted to become a member while retired (no longer AD), he could have became one and sponsored you. 

* If the Mother inherited certain Spousal classifications she could still invoke membership (I Doubt she did) and then sponsor you.

If none of this happened and your father died, although retired, you cannot associate for membership.

I served 7 years in the USMC. The day my ID expired/I turned it in- I no longer qualified for membership if I did not open it before that.

Message 15 of 30
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the problem here is..you really do not understand how the US military works and how it categorizes people.

Irrelevant. Not applicable. Nada. Pointless statement and/or information. 

* Had the Father been an actual member before death, he could sponsor membership.OK

* If the Father had wanted to become a member while retired (no longer AD), he could have became one and sponsored you. OK

* If the Mother inherited certain Spousal classifications she could still invoke membership (I Doubt she did) and then sponsor you.OK

If none of this happened and your father died, although retired, you cannot associate for membership.

Careful now. Are you absolutely sure? How do you know something has not changed? Theres thousands of folks joining up! Read up the million posts all over the many discussion forums/ groups all over the web explaining how they joined through sponsors who were NOT members of NFCU. I had been for a while doing my research online and also by calling up NFCU. Read my first post. Thats why I stated that it might could be that NFCU may have changed eligibility criteria and maybe are letting in people if their family members are/were in the army etc even if they havent been members.

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nothingman02 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Irrelevant. Not applicable. Nada. Pointless statement and/or information.  NOT REALLY HUGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE HAVE SHOWN FREQUENT CONFUSION BETWEEN SOMEONE HAVING SERVED IN THE MILITARY THEN EASING, THEN GETTING A  JOB FROM FORD THEY THEN RETIRED FROM AND HAVING PEOPLE CLAIM THEY ARE "RETIRED" AND ELIGIBLE.

* Had the Father been an actual member before death, he could sponsor membership.OK

* If the Father had wanted to become a member while retired (no longer AD), he could have became one and sponsored you. OK

* If the Mother inherited certain Spousal classifications she could still invoke membership (I Doubt she did) and then sponsor you.OK

Careful now. Are you absolutely sure? fairly..I have seen MANY people have NFCu end up never doind anything with them as they were unable to show "supporting" information.How do you know something has not changed? It could change, It HAS changed- when I first entered the USMC there was a very true limit that you could only be a member if you were stationed at a base where there was a branch- that has since changed Theres thousands of folks joining up! Read up the million posts all over the many discussion forums/ groups all over the web explaining how they joined through sponsors who were NOT members of NFCU. There is a large difference between "Millions" and "thousands." Were those sponsors dead as well? I had been for a while doing my research online and also by calling up NFCU. Read my first post. Thats why I stated that it might could be that NFCU may have changed eligibility criteria and maybe are letting in people if their family members are/were in the army etc even if they havent been members. But probably not. Thats a huge amount of "maybes" and "mights" to stand by as expected Gospel 

You want to be a member. You are not, with the information you have provided, currently eligible. I am sorry.

many of the millions of Posts you talk about (Funny NFCU only has 3-4 million members) did anyone come back and say hey they actually declined me when they asked for documents? I have seen that happen.

At one point you could Sponsor anyone by claiming they were a household member and simply doing it online.

Now they are (and YES I KNOW THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE) wanting to see proof of residence between the sponsor and the applicant.

Granted that is nothing changing your address on a credit card, waiting for it to post, then faxing that statement in cannot solve.

I tried to help a friend get financed for a car by becoming a member. In May. NFCU never once bothered me, even though I sponsored him, every time he tried to do something with the account he hit that road block. Until proof of relationship was established.

From the Website:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force, retirees and annuitants You are right I see nothing about the dead being excluded so I can see where confusion would set in.

And Also

Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members Where I DO see nothing about the person ever having to have been a member Or still alive.

So maybe you can argue that you are a Family Member of a currently deceased Army Retiree who was never a member, since they do not actually have a "Still living" clause in their website, and try to justify eligibility from that point.

Me? I think that would be a stretch.

Message Edited by usmc58555 on 07-22-2009 05:18 PM
Message 17 of 30
Established Contributor

nothingham02, you mentioned your wife's father was retired army but is deceased. Is your wife's mother still living? If so, she should be receiving an annuity from the D.O.D. In that case I am absolutely positive your wife could join solely based on this fact. It does not matter whether her father or mother was ever a member of NFCU. Once she joins you would then be eligible.

If her mother is also deceased then you may get conflicting answers on this board and the NFCU memembership services.

Message Edited by plasticman on 07-22-2009 05:08 PM
Message 18 of 30
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Personally I think all the reasons proffered (1-4) are incorrect. I also believe you are not qualified for membership. Read the information related to the field of membership carefully. If you still think you are qualified for membership call, explain that you have called before and received conflicting answers and ask to speak with a supervisor or manager. Go over your information carefully with that person and get to a bottom line decision. Whatever the ruling is at that point in time you will have to accept it. You will then either be a member or move on. Period.
Message 19 of 30
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you know something has not changed? It could change, It HAS changed- when I first entered the USMC there was a very true limit that you could only be a member if you were stationed at a base where there was a branch- that has since changed .......

usmc, you keep fussing while staying on your tangent and yet at the same time agree that things could have changed.

And thats my whole point. Not what you deem the eligibility criteria to be which is not at all important but  rather, waht the current NFCU eligibility criteria is and that that eligibility criteria could have been extended to more people!

You dont know if the criteria has been extended and you agree that things always change and it might be so that more people are eligible now and yet you adamantly argue that things have not changed and are sticking to the past eligibility criteria. Again, are you sure? On what basis can you so vehemently argue that the NFCU eligibility criteria is only what you have been stating and nothing beyond that? Ignore the NFCU website for its quite likely that its not been updated.

Like I said, many many folks out there that have joined and obtained CCs and loans from NFCU without a problem by joining through sponsors who have never been members of NFCU and who had retired, deceased etc etc.  

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.