Frequent Contributor
moondog7324

NFCU new Cash Rewards Card! Much Love..

Last week I got a pre-approved offer from NFCU for the cash rewards card, I already have two auto loans a line of credit (almost maxed) and a nrewards card(almost maxed out) and I have been declined twice in the past two years for an additional card. I read the fine print, say I was approved , unkless something changed in my recent credit. My FICO score has been hovering around 655 for about two years, I can never seem to break the 700 club. My payment history for the past 5 years have been flawless, the only  negs still on my reports are a Crap One and a HSBC charge off that are both due to fall off near summer. I really don't need anymore credit, but the 2.99% balance trasfer was inticing and I figured I could transfer my Chase balances (about 2500) and hopefully pay them off at a much better pace. So i pulled the trigger and applied, the next day I saw the approval notice- but no credit limit. The following day I checked- $6,000 !! my highest card to date- beating my nrewards card by 2k.

Four years ago my credit was so horrible I got turned down for in-house financing at Ashley Furniture- talk about embarrassing. I decided that day to take control of my credit. I could not get a credit card anywhere. I read these forums and started a game plan.

Save $1,000 and opened a secured credit card with the credit union. Use it regularly, and pay it off in full every month. After a year it went unsecured, six more months of ontime payments and then I asked for a CLI.  It was that simple step and these message boards that have changed my life. I am still hoping to hit that 700 club by the end of the year. Just remember patience and on time payments the rest will follow.

Regular Contributor
networkguy

Re: NFCU new Cash Rewards Card! Much Love..

Grats :smileyhappy: Its a nice card!

Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Congrats on the new card! NFCU rocks! :smileyhappy:

moondog7324 wrote:

Last week I got a pre-approved offer from NFCU for the cash rewards card, I already have two auto loans a line of credit (almost maxed) and a nrewards card(almost maxed out) and I have been declined twice in the past two years for an additional card. I read the fine print, say I was approved , unkless something changed in my recent credit. My FICO score has been hovering around 655 for about two years, I can never seem to break the 700 club. My payment history for the past 5 years have been flawless, the only  negs still on my reports are a Crap One and a HSBC charge off that are both due to fall off near summer. I really don't need anymore credit, but the 2.99% balance trasfer was inticing and I figured I could transfer my Chase balances (about 2500) and hopefully pay them off at a much better pace. So i pulled the trigger and applied, the next day I saw the approval notice- but no credit limit. The following day I checked- $6,000 !! my highest card to date- beating my nrewards card by 2k. 

I'm sure you already know this, but take care not to run up any additional debt that you can't PIF. You mentioned a few maxed out credit lines with NFCU, and wanting to make good use of the 2.99% BT offer that they have going now, to knock-off your Chase balances. It's a good financial move if it'll save you money, and help you pay more, and faster. I'll bet if you get your utilization below 10%, you'll be in the 700 Club by early summer!

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Super Contributor
concorduser

Congrats..

New Contributor
monicar2009

I dont mean to hijack. But since this is a current nfcu thread, when does the company report to the credit agencies? My statement cut already for the first time a few days ago and theres nothing on myfico.

Thank you for your time

Frequent Contributor
Karatz

Mine was like 30-45 days late posting after I was approved; however, they've posted on time and like clockwork since...

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}