Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU opinions

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

NFCU opinions

My father worked for the DOD for 44 years.  He work at an Ammunition manufacturing plant.   He has since passed.  My mother collects his pension.  Since he has passed what do you think my chances are for getting into NFCU?   Just curious.   Thanks!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU opinions

@Shogun wrote:

My father worked for the DOD for 44 years.  He work at an Ammunition manufacturing plant.   He has since passed.  My mother collects his pension.  Since he has passed what do you think my chances are for getting into NFCU?   Just curious.   Thanks!

You might want to find out where her check comes from for that pension payment.  I know if it comes from DFAS you could qualify under her (actually him through her).  It would be easiest if she already had a membership (no products other than the minimal savings account, though she might benefit by having DD with them somehow). Then you could just give them her access number.

If your father got a pension (retirement) through the DOD, he'll be in NFCU's system, even if a payment is no longer being issued (which would be the case if both he and his spouse had passed away).   You would still be able to qualify under those circumstances as you are his child.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Shogun wrote:

Have your mom call today and see if she is eligible as a pension recipient from a DOD pension fund.  If your mom is eligible... see if she would be willing to join, if she joins, then you could join.

Good Luck.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@RyVision wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

You might want to find out where her check comes from for that pension payment.  I know if it comes from DFAS you could qualify under her (actually him through her).  It would be easiest if she already had a membership (no products other than the minimal savings account, though she might benefit by having DD with them somehow). Then you could just give them her access number.

If your father got a pension (retirement) through the DOD, he'll be in NFCU's system, even if a payment is no longer being issued (which would be the case if both he and his spouse had passed away).   You would still be able to qualify under those circumstances as you are his child.

Try this option as well...  Do you know his SS#   ?

I would call them!

FICO 9:

Message 4 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Shogun wrote:

If i were in your shoes I'd be all over it Smiley Happy  NFCU is just awesome, so good luck!

FICO 9:

Message 5 of 33
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I tried calling once a couple weeks ago, the girl on the phone really didn't know.  Maybe I should have asked to talk to someone else.   

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 33
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

My understanding is that your father must joined NFCU prior to his death.

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your immediate family member was/is eligible to join NFCU, whether they are a member or not, whether they are alive or deceased, you are eligible to join.

This is a quote from a Navy employee who posts in another forum 

Message 8 of 33
distantarray
Established Contributor

I got into NFCU cause my biological father was in the Army. Not sure if he was ever a member, funny cause I don't even know what he looks like, parents Divorced when I was 2. They asked for his birthsday and I couldn't even give them that LOL, but I was a born citizen of the United States in Korea at a military hospital, and I told the lady I could bring my Birth Certificate to prove it if she needed, she said it wasn't required and enrolled me =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 33
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Be careful its the security dept who has the final word and is the ones that will shut you down. They are worse than an amex FR
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.