Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU opinions

tag
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU opinions

My wife signed up for NFCU yesterday. Her dad is retired Air Force. She told them that, but they didn't ask for her to verify any of the information about her father. Is this something that they will do in the future?

Also, is it true that we will have to make our way to a branch eventually to finish the sign up process? From what it looks like, the nearest branch to Salt Lake City is Las Vegas!
Message 21 of 33
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@shinedown87 wrote:
My wife signed up for NFCU yesterday. Her dad is retired Air Force. She told them that, but they didn't ask for her to verify any of the information about her father. Is this something that they will do in the future?

Also, is it true that we will have to make our way to a branch eventually to finish the sign up process? From what it looks like, the nearest branch to Salt Lake City is Las Vegas!

They should just be in the process of sending you paperwork to fill out (not a loan application, more along the line of a signature card form and maybe a DL copy).   It's always easier to sign up at a branch but it's usually out of the question for most people due to distance.

Usually they'll want some info about the eligible persons (your wife's father) info, usually last address, SS# or military ID number and relationship to the applicant.   If you call back they'll probably tell you they're sending something in the mail.  You might want to inform them of how far you are from the nearest branch as well so they know it would be rather difficult for you to go sign up in person.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 22 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@shinedown87 wrote:

She may need to get a copy of her dad's military paperwork to keep on file, in the off-chance that they ask later on.  It sometimes happens that they do a security verification several months after you join.  If you don't pass verification, they'll close out your accounts and you have no recourse.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@asp123 wrote:

My ex is retired from the Army.  Do I qualify??

I will be glad to be a friend of someone to get in!!!!!!!!

If you move back in with him then you will qualify...  Unfortunately, right now you don't. If you had applied while living together it would have worked.

Unless you wanna move in with your friend and share the same roof, being a friend won't cut it.  You have to be a friend with "benefits"

FICO 9:

Message 24 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I love NFCU so far.  I wonder if it depends who you talk to for membership.  When I called in, I told the lady my Grandfather was retired from the Air Force and asked her if I was eligible.  She put me on hold for a second and then said yes.  She never asked me for any of his information - not even his name!  I wonder if when they ran my credit, they showed we shared an address at one point.  Or something.  I have no idea!!!  I thought that was odd. 

Make sure you get copies of his military paperwork and copies of your parent's birth certificate to prove the relationship if it ever comes to that

FICO 9:

Message 25 of 33
AvaMommy
Frequent Contributor

@shinedown87 wrote:

There is a branch in Vegas...I'll be in Vegas on the 7th of November and was wondering how I would take out money from time to time...Thank you!!!

Starting Score: FAKO: TU 602 EQ 550 EX 565 - 08|2012
Current Score: MyFICO: TU 633 EQ 637 EX 669 (AMEX PULL)09|2012
Goal Score: 700 across the board In my wallet: NFCU cashRewards 12000CL, NFCU LOC 10K CL, BofA cashRewards 5000CL, BofA PP 3000CL, JAREDS (AU) 1500CL, SEARS (AU) 7000CL
Under my mattress: Orchard Bank 320CL and Saks Fifth Avenue 100CL. Finally in the Garden. App Free Since 9/18/12 - No apps until March 2013
Message 26 of 33
madmann26
Valued Contributor

shinedown87,

Once you sign-up, you can scan/email your DL and SS card to bsadocs@navyfederal.org.

After you sign-up, a couple of days later you will get an email asking to do so to this email address, this will speed the process up a lot.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 27 of 33
distantarray
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@asp123 wrote:

You have to be a friend with "benefits"

How come my friends with benefits didn't get me a navy account? Smiley Sad  hehe jk

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 28 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@distantarray wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@asp123 wrote:

How come my friends with benefits didn't get me a navy account? Smiley Sad  hehe jk

You gotta stay more than 10 minutes to do the deed Smiley Wink    rofl

You gotta actually live there!

FICO 9:

Message 29 of 33
distantarray
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@asp123 wrote:

You gotta stay more than 10 minutes to do the deed Smiley Wink    rofl

You gotta actually live there!

It was more than 10 minutes! It was 11 =x and a direct deposit =X

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.