SpiceofLife

NFCU question

Hi,

I've been reading the threads for about a year now. I finally have a question.

I've noticed when some of you are approved for Navy Fed (I am a member)that you send in paystubs and some don't. What is the deciding factor in that? It appears to be the CL maybe. Can someone help me?

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
mt2va

Re: NFCU question

SpiceofLife wrote:

I've noticed when some of you are approved for Navy Fed (I am a member)that you send in paystubs and some don't. What is the deciding factor in that? It appears to be the CL maybe. Can someone help me?

I'm guessing it is based on CL requested.  I wasn't required to, but they only approved me for $1,200 on Visa, $1,000 on MC, $500 LOC, & $14,600 for auto re-fi.  All of these required manual review by them except for the LOC which was instant online. 

Gardening since: 4/16/14
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
7/13: EQ 517 (FICO)/TU 546 (FAKO)/EX 581 (FAKO)
Current (4/14): EQ 580 (FICO)/TU 611 (FICO)/ EX 603 (FICO)

Established Contributor

From what I have read and my experience, it is the sole discretion of NFCU based on one's entire EQ credit profile and the credit product applied for.

For example, I was approved for a 25k Platinum CC and a 15k NavChek LOC without providing NFCU any income verification. However, I have been at the same job for 26 years and have a high EQ FICO score. Nevertheless, if I applied for a mortgage I am certain I would need to provide NFCU income verification. 

Senior Contributor
smallfry

I applied 2+ years ago and didn't ask for a credit limit. No pay stubs. Penfed on the other hand required pay stubs for a smallish limit because of my BK.
Senior Contributor
txjohn

I applied NFCU this year and was approved $25k Visa and $15k Nav LOC.  They required paystubs on the Visa and called my employment for the Nav LOC.  Both times manual review, took the 3-5 days.

However, my 21 year old daughter was instantly approved Visa for $8k, no docs.

We both did online apps which only the LOC asked for a requested CL.  The Visa's were assigned CL's by NFCU without input from us.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Established Contributor

txjohn wrote:

I applied NFCU this year and was approved $25k Visa and $15k Nav LOC.  They required paystubs on the Visa and called my employment for the Nav LOC.  Both times manual review, took the 3-5 days.

However, my 21 year old daughter was instantly approved Visa for $8k, no docs.

We both did online apps which only the LOC asked for a requested CL.  The Visa's were assigned CL's by NFCU without input from us.

+1

SpiceofLife

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am self employed and was kinda worrying about the paystub thing when I app for the cash rewards visa today. I guess(hope) they will accept tax returns in lieu if needed. Or maybe they won't need any docs at all!

What are my chances of approval ?

No baddies

2 EQ inquiries

EQ 698

AAOA 3 yrs

History 3 yrs

Util 20%

Should I chance apping nrewards at the same time or space them out?

Thanks alot

SpiceofLife

BTW

Congrats on 25k:smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
mt2va

SpiceofLife wrote:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am self employed and was kinda worrying about the paystub thing when I app for the cash rewards visa today. I guess(hope) they will accept tax returns in lieu if needed. Or maybe they won't need any docs at all!

What are my chances of approval ?

No baddies

2 EQ inquiries

EQ 698

AAOA 3 yrs

History 3 yrs

Util 20%

Should I chance apping nrewards at the same time or space them out?

Thanks alot

I would say to go for it based on my own experience & what I've seen on here.  My credit history & AAOA are quite a bit longer than yours but I had several baddies (although none of my judgements or collections show up on EQ) & my score was about 600 give or take. 

I don't think I've actually seen anyone post they were denied by NFCU.  I think its just a matter of what CL you may receive.  They are the first place to give me credit in over 5 years.  A week after they approve me for CashRewards Visa they approved me for GoRewards MasterCard.  Then a month later (I was impatient) they re-fi my car loan at 1/2 the interest rate I was paying & then about a week ago I hit them up for the NavChek LOC & it was an instant approval.

Thanks to them un-locking the door I've also been approved for 2 Sears CC & 1 Best Buy CC as well. 

My understanding is I'm supposed to be doing something called credit gardening now, but that is just not as much fun for me. 

Gardening since: 4/16/14
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
7/13: EQ 517 (FICO)/TU 546 (FAKO)/EX 581 (FAKO)
Current (4/14): EQ 580 (FICO)/TU 611 (FICO)/ EX 603 (FICO)

Established Contributor
MsKiwi

You all are killing me! I was going to wait until December (no particular reason for December) to apply for a cc with NFCU as my goal is to pick them up and close my rebuilder cards. I'm not sure if I should call and app on the phone so I can explain my goals or to just app online. What to do , what to do?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+