Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU questions

tag
TrishN
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU questions

I member with EQ and myfico.  When they opened my member. They SP on my EQ. I see they SP. they do HP when I apply for CC

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 11 of 19
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

You need to check your transunion report
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 12 of 19
Link2k
Valued Member

@rootpooty wrote:
You need to check your transunion report

+1

They pulled hard on TU and then softed EQ on the same day when I applied. 

Message 13 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Link2k wrote:

Wow there is a lot of agreement about a simple incorrect fact in this thread.

Your brother does not need to join simply be eligible. I can't blame others for being ignorant regarding this as most NFCU CSR's aren't aware that you are eligible to join as long as an immediate family member is eligible.

Keep in mind you will have to call in to join as it cannot be done online if your brother is not a member (and as I said some CSR's are unaware that this is a viable option so you may have to speak with a supervisor or you could just call back and get a CSR who knows their job better).

NFCU will pull a hard for membership and they will not re-use pulls so one for membership and one for your card app. They pull either TU or EQ depending on where you live.  Good luck OP

Oh and almost all CU's require $5 be deposited in a share savings NFCU included.

Ive seen cases on this board where memberships were revoked by the security department due to the family member not being a full member... that's why I prefer to always encourage folks to get the eligible member to join. Seems like this is a more secure way to join with no issues down the road.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 19
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Link2k wrote:

Your brother does not need to join simply be eligible. I can't blame others for being ignorant regarding this as most NFCU CSR's aren't aware that you are eligible to join as long as an immediate family member is eligible.

Keep in mind you will have to call in to join as it cannot be done online if your brother is not a member (and as I said some CSR's are unaware that this is a viable option so you may have to speak with a supervisor or you could just call back and get a CSR who knows their job better).

NFCU will pull a hard for membership and they will not re-use pulls so one for membership and one for your card app. They pull either TU or EQ depending on where you live.  Good luck OP

Oh and almost all CU's require $5 be deposited in a share savings NFCU included.

Ive seen cases on this board where memberships were revoked by the security department due to the family member not being a full member... that's why I prefer to always encourage folks to get the eligible member to join. Seems like this is a more secure way to join with no issues down the road.

+1

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 15 of 19
TrishN
Established Contributor

Maybe I wrong,but I never received alarm from EQ about hard inquiry on TU. but  back to the time I apply for Walmart.they pulled TU I received alarm from EQ about hard inquiries on TU

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 16 of 19
Link2k
Valued Member

@rootpooty wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@Link2k wrote:

+1

It can happen but even having someone who is fully eligible won't prevent the security department from being closed out. If security reviews your relative who is eligible they will either find their records or not. If they don't they will request verification of information either from you or from them (if they are already a member). If it cannot be provided you (and the eligible relative if they are a member) will be closed out. 

Having the eligible relative join means you won't have to do any legwork if for some reason they can't verify them.

FWIW I know plenty of people who have joined (all through legitimate means) without having their eligible relative join first. Some have gone through security and passed others never went through security. Never IME seen anyone get kicked out who can verify their way in.

Message 17 of 19
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Link2k wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@Link2k wrote:

+1

It can happen but even having someone who is fully eligible won't prevent the security department from being closed out. If security reviews your relative who is eligible they will either find their records or not. If they don't they will request verification of information either from you or from them (if they are already a member). If it cannot be provided you (and the eligible relative if they are a member) will be closed out. 

Having the eligible relative join means you won't have to do any legwork if for some reason they can't verify them.

FWIW I know plenty of people who have joined (all through legitimate means) without having their eligible relative join first. Some have gone through security and passed others never went through security. Never IME seen anyone get kicked out who can verify their way in.

Im a prime example.  I called and joined last year.  My brother is active duty but I thought he wasnt a member.  They took his first and last name and my info and processed it.  A few days later Im locked out of my accounts and was told to call the security dept.  They told me that in order for me to be eligible I would either A: need my brother to join or B: if he is a member get his access number.  I then found out he was a member provided them with his access number and all was good.  In my experience with them and others as well its not the CSR's who have the say so on who is eligible its the security dept.  On your last quote youve never seen someone kicked out who can verify their way in?  Read the thread "Im so over navy federal"  OP clearly states he/she was kicked out cause she didnt qualify under DOD then tried to remain member under brother who was acitve duty and they wanted nothing to do with them.  It happens alot that is why we recommend if your eligible that the person who can sponser you in join first that way there isnt any problems

Message 18 of 19
Link2k
Valued Member

@rootpooty wrote:

@Link2k wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@Link2k wrote:

+1

Im a prime example.  I called and joined last year.  My brother is active duty but I thought he wasnt a member.  They took his first and last name and my info and processed it.  A few days later Im locked out of my accounts and was told to call the security dept.  They told me that in order for me to be eligible I would either A: need my brother to join or B: if he is a member get his access number.  I then found out he was a member provided them with his access number and all was good.  In my experience with them and others as well its not the CSR's who have the say so on who is eligible its the security dept.  On your last quote youve never seen someone kicked out who can verify their way in?  Read the thread "Im so over navy federal"  OP clearly states he/she was kicked out cause she didnt qualify under DOD then tried to remain member under brother who was acitve duty and they wanted nothing to do with them.  It happens alot that is why we recommend if your eligible that the person who can sponser you in join first that way there isnt any problems

If you get in under false pretenses you will be kicked out mistake or not even if you are actually eligible. Of course CSR's don't make the decision but those that I have seen that have spoken with the security department simply verified their eligible members information and their accounts were unlocked.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.