Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU questions

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

NFCU questions

Since everyone seems to love NFCU, I'm thinking of joining but have a few questions.

1) Can I join since my brother is currently active duty Army, though he is not a member of NFCU? The website makes it seem like as long as a family member is eligible for membership, then you are eligible as well. 

2) Does anyone know how much $$ they make you deposit to open the account (assuming I am eligible to join)?

3) Last question, do they do a hard pull for membership, and if so, can that same pull be used for a credit card application?

If anyone can shed a little light on this, I'd really appreciate it. It sounds like NFCU is a great place to be a part of, so I'd really like to get in on it if I can!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU questions

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Since everyone seems to love NFCU, I'm thinking of joining but have a few questions.

1) Can I join since my brother is currently active duty Army, though he is not a member of NFCU? The website makes it seem like as long as a family member is eligible for membership, then you are eligible as well. 

2) Does anyone know how much $$ they make you deposit to open the account (assuming I am eligible to join)?

3) Last question, do they do a hard pull for membership, and if so, can that same pull be used for a credit card application?

If anyone can shed a little light on this, I'd really appreciate it. It sounds like NFCU is a great place to be a part of, so I'd really like to get in on it if I can!

you can join but your brother have to become a member first. I believe its 5 bucks to open a saving with them and hard pull for membership and credit card will definitely be two separate pulls. Nfcu is excellent i do love them!

Message 2 of 19
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

+1

USAA should be good too if you not qualify for NFCU

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 19
scarzy
Regular Contributor

Hi!

1) I think your brother would have to join since you would need an access number to join.

2) For savings -5 dollars

For checking - zero

3} Yes, they hard pulled equifax for membership, and hard pulled for credit card since they are 2 separate entities.

Now, the way I understood it, if you apply for any types of credit, they will use the same credit report up to 30 days. That

what a rep told me.

So, that means, apply for a credit card, line of credit , and personal or auto loan at the same 30 days time frame.

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 4 of 19
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I just joined as well...

My wifes brother is active USAF so he joined, and my wife joined through him, and I joined through her. 

You need to deposit at least $5 into a savings account. 

It was a HP on TU for us, but YMMV. 

Good Luck!

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

From what ive read; your brother may need to join too. But its only 5 bucks... In my experience, every new product has required a hard pull except opening the e checking. The HPs are definately worth it as they gave me 15k navcheck; 22k cash rewards card; and saved me 3.5% on my old car loan and 1.79% on a new car loan.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 19
TrishN
Established Contributor

Iam not agree for number 3. They SP me for membership. But credit card and any type of credit. They are happy puller lol

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 7 of 19
Link2k
Valued Member

Wow there is a lot of agreement about a simple incorrect fact in this thread.

Your brother does not need to join simply be eligible. I can't blame others for being ignorant regarding this as most NFCU CSR's aren't aware that you are eligible to join as long as an immediate family member is eligible.

Keep in mind you will have to call in to join as it cannot be done online if your brother is not a member (and as I said some CSR's are unaware that this is a viable option so you may have to speak with a supervisor or you could just call back and get a CSR who knows their job better).

NFCU will pull a hard for membership and they will not re-use pulls so one for membership and one for your card app. They pull either TU or EQ depending on where you live.  Good luck OP

Oh and almost all CU's require $5 be deposited in a share savings NFCU included.

Message 8 of 19
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

For number 1: Its possible to join if he isnt a member however it seems lately alot of CSR's with NFCU are new and will tell you that your brother must be a member before you can join.  Are you sure he isnt a member?  I have alot of military family and all of them have told me upon start up they were all offered NFCU products so there is a big chance he may already be a member.

2:  like already stated 5 bucks into a share saving account

3:  HP on TU for membership 95% chance a CC app will be HP on EQ if not its going on TU.

They are HP happy so if you are told one HP for multiple products then expect an HP for any credit product you app for

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 9 of 19
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@TrishN wrote:

Iam not agree for number 3. They SP me for membership. But credit card and any type of credit. They are happy puller lol

check TU the HP will be there

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.