Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU questions??

tag
soccer5
Regular Contributor

NFCU questions??

I started my credit repair journey about 6 months ago mostly with advice from you guys, and I've made great progress! Also in this forum I heard what a great credit union NFCU is. Well, today my fiancé and I opened an account with them using her father to get in (retired Army). Question I have is I am still rebuilding as I have a few baddies left on my report to fix but.... Since they do a hard pull when they set up your account, would it make sense to try and app for a CC and or NavCheck? I was going to wait a little while longer, but since they already did a hard pull would it make sense to try for NavCheck and a CC assuming they would use the hard pull from account creation? I was going to wait a bit to establish the account and start direct deposit, and also try to improve my scores a bit, but it seems it would be a waste of a hard pull? What do you guys think?
Starting Score: EX 549 EQ 465 TU 477
Current Score: EX 714 EQ 681 TU 727 EX Fico (PSECU) 683 EQ Fico 676 (MyFico) TU Fico (WalMart) 701 as of 6/6/2014
Goal Score: 700's
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: NFCU questions??

NFCU does a HP on TU for membership and a HP on EQ for cc's. I would say if its been 6 mis since you started your journey, you might as well see what's out there. It's just one inquiry and if anyone is going to give you a second chance, its NFCU.

good luck!
Message 2 of 4
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@soccer5 wrote:
I started my credit repair journey about 6 months ago mostly with advice from you guys, and I've made great progress! Also in this forum I heard what a great credit union NFCU is. Well, today my fiancé and I opened an account with them using her father to get in (retired Army). Question I have is I am still rebuilding as I have a few baddies left on my report to fix but.... Since they do a hard pull when they set up your account, would it make sense to try and app for a CC and or NavCheck? I was going to wait a little while longer, but since they already did a hard pull would it make sense to try for NavCheck and a CC assuming they would use the hard pull from account creation? I was going to wait a bit to establish the account and start direct deposit, and also try to improve my scores a bit, but it seems it would be a waste of a hard pull? What do you guys think?

One negative about NFCU is they are pull-happy. As Lexie said, they will do another HP for an app. And if you app for both CC and Navcheck, they will do separate pulls for each of those. And they often - though not always  - pull for CLIs. (I've gotten HPs from them for a CLI and a CLI w/SP, so there's no way to know what they'll do on that.)

What's you credit like? FICO, baddies, aaoa, util? It might be worth trying for a CC and then going for a CLI when your credit is better. However, your interest rate will also be higher if your credit isn't that good right now.

If you're a few months away from getting the baddies off, then I'd probably wait because you'll start out with a higher CL and better terms. But if it's going to take a while, then you'd be better off getting something to begin building a positive credit history.

I think I'd wait on Navchek. The CL is determined by your credit-worthiness; everyone has the same interest rate. It's nice to have for util padding.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 4
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

NFCU just pulled TU for dh. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.