Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU ???'s

tag
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

NFCU ???'s

I just found out that I can sign up with NFCU because my father was active duty Air Force when he passed away. My question is .....with my current scores  how likely will I get approved for a CC?

TIA

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU ???'s

What are your scores? Your signature doesn't show up on mobile.
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 2 of 9
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@leegreen wrote:
What are your scores? Your signature doesn't show up on mobile.

myFico scores are:  EQ   596     Exp  626  & TU  618

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 3 of 9
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Borderline they will pull eq for cc. I have seen a lot approved with high 500s but some get offered a secured. You have a good shot at unsecured with them maybe 75%
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 4 of 9
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

@Cheryla18 wrote:

I just found out that I can sign up with NFCU because my father was active duty Air Force when he passed away. My question is .....with my current scores  how likely will I get approved for a CC?

TIA

Cheryl

It's one of those YMMV things.  I will let you know that my DH and I have been members for about 3 years now, just recently (Jan 2014) moved all of our banking to them.  I went ahead and applied for the goRewards, my score EQ was 578 at the time, with relatively high utilization and baddies.  I was approved for $4000.  DH tried for one at the same time, declined but his scores were horrible at like 515 ( so no surprise). 

Fast forward to April, and we wanted to try and take advantage of the $250 refi auto offer, and we got it!.  DH again decided to try for a CC.  Applied for the cash rewards (pre 1.5%) and he got it, with a $3000 limit!  His scores were around 560 or so.  I don't know if our longer relationship had anything to do with it or not but we were surprised and happy. 

Good luck if you try!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

Oh and also, besides your scores you may want to let the other, more knowledgable folks here know your current credit situation.

Like util, AAoA, what cards you have now with limits and such, inquires etc

Message 6 of 9
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Eyisila wrote:

Oh and also, besides your scores you may want to let the other, more knowledgable folks here know your current credit situation.

I have 1 collection.   I have 120 day lates on Sallie Mae student loan that is 6 yrs old and will fall off next year.  Everything else is currnet and on time.  I  secured CC with CL 1,000.   Fingerhut  CL $700.00   and Credit One CL 500.00 but still waiting for it to show up on report.

Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 7 of 9
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

@Cheryla18 wrote:

@Eyisila wrote:

I have 1 collection.   I have 120 day lates on Sallie Mae student loan that is 6 yrs old and will fall off next year.  Everything else is currnet and on time.  I  secured CC with CL 1,000.   Fingerhut  CL $700.00   and Credit One CL 500.00 but still waiting for it to show up on report.

I would go ahead and try.  If you are not to worried about inquiries at the moment.  Cuz as you  may have read NFCU is INQ crazy LOL.  But they are also very good to people rebuilding and with not so perfect credit.  I am the DH of Eyisila.  560 or so and I got the CashRewards with $3000, with a lot of baddies and lates on student loans. 

It's really up to you though.  If worse comes to worse they will counter with the secured card, which is pretty good also.  And if worked right can unsecure at 13 months.

Keep us updated Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 9
scarzy
Regular Contributor

I would try, because NF are pretty lenient at the beginning with people who have bad/so-so scores.

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.