cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU says I don't need an unsecured and secured cc....???

tag
rm3
Regular Contributor

NFCU says I don't need an unsecured and secured cc....???

I called and spoke with a rep who says I don't need to open up a secured card as well since I have the unsecured. I want the secured to have anothe trade line with a high CL ( i would make addtl deposits until it reaches 5000 or more). I know Cap1 and Orchard are not going to grow and plan to close them before the AF is charged. Couldn't I request NFCU to PC the secured card at that time which would be in 6 months? Any advice. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU says I don't need an unsecured and secured cc....???

Why would you want a secured card.

Your reasons don't make any sense.

Stick with unsecured.  If you had to choose b/w gold and silver, why would you choose silver?

Go with the Gold and stay away from secured cards.

Message 2 of 9
rm3
Regular Contributor

1. For future prime cards with high CLs

2. Only have three open revolving accounts of which two I will close in 6 months. 

3. I can control the limit and possibly PC to a signature card. 

4. They would use the same HP they just did and i would receive two cards. Take the hit to AAOA and garden for another 6 months. 

Message 3 of 9
Elcid89
Contributor

Patience is a virtue in this scenario.

Be glad that they took a chance on you, use what you currently have responsibly and then pursue an additional card with NFCU when your scores have improved.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 9
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

If i had a 579 and a 2K CL unsecured card, i'd be really really happy and would not need/want another card ATM especially if its a unsecured card.

Message 5 of 9
Elcid89
Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

If i had a 579 and a 2K CL unsecured card, i'd be really really happy and would not need/want another card ATM especially if its a unsecured card.

+1

OP is seeking too much too soon IMO.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW his plan is sound for pretty much anyone who doesn't have access to NFCU.

NFCU cuts the traditional tradeline CL issue, the OP will get the same outstanding limits others have received here from them as his credit file grows; however, for just about anyone else without access to the Candyland which is NFCU, I'd certainly consider it.  I'm debating doing it again since my BOFA secured experiment didn't work as well as possible once I sort through my Fed tax lien albatross and while it's looking like my mortgage plans may move into 2014.

        
Message 7 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

In my opinion I think you should use the 2k card responsibly... and app for the flagship card in 4 months to 6 months... no need to get a secured card.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 9
rm3
Regular Contributor

I like that idea. In the garden I go!!! Thanks to all for the sound advice.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.