Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU still hates me...

tag
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

NFCU still hates me...

NFCU Platinum is almost 20 years old. Went from 5K to 10K back in 2005 and zip since.

Was shot down back in May for too much utilization. It was high but I see people with worse getting mega CLs. In the last few months, I paid my ute down 20 percent, with many cards PIF or with maybe 5 percent ute (new purchases.)

So I decided to pull the trigger again for 20K (I make 95K a year.) No dice. 3-5 day notice. Not even a counter offer.

I may have to think about ditching them and just making this a sockdrawer card. Smiley Sad

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU still hates me...

So what's your current reported utilization?  Down 20% is good but depending on where you started you may still have a ways to go.  NFCU isn't the only lender that doesn't look favorably on high utilization.  They don't hate you.  They see you as too much of a risk with your current utilization.

Message 2 of 9
Smug
Established Contributor

They just gave me 20k and I make 30k a year but under 1% util.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 3 of 9
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

I have to second the question of what is your actual utilization currently?

How often do you use the NFCU card? Have you ever PIF on the NFCU card?

We make very similar in income, so if you are never PIF on the card, Navy may think you are spreading your income too thin across your cards (evidenced by having high UTL) to warrant an increase.

ETA - I see you tried the CLI online. Have you called in to see if an actual reviewer can look at your account? NFCU is great, but they are not infallible either.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 4 of 9
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

On the NFCU thread there are people whose card is at 90 percent who still see CLIs.

My total is around 49 percent. High, but not the worst in the world. Have I PIFed? Yes, though not recently. I also have one of my smaller monthly bills autopaid with it, so it does get used. It has been used at my vet last month for a larger bill, which will be paid next payday. I never send minimum payments (this month it is zero.)

I usually don't call until I see whether it is a go or no go. They usually want to pull again and that is a "pound sand" in my book. You already have a HP in front of you.

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 5 of 9
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

@silverzgirl wrote:

On the NFCU thread there are people whose card is at 90 percent who still see CLIs.

My total is around 49 percent. High, but not the worst in the world. Have I PIFed? Yes, though not recently. I also have one of my smaller monthly bills autopaid with it, so it does get used. It has been used at my vet last month for a larger bill, which will be paid next payday. I never send minimum payments (this month it is zero.)

I usually don't call until I see whether it is a go or no go. They usually want to pull again and that is a "pound sand" in my book. You already have a HP in front of you.

Very odd, but Navy is HP happy.

I don't know. If you got the 3-5 message and you didn't call in to cancel it, then the HP will show up regardless. I would call in and fight, but that's just me (after the bad influence of the myfico community). I have no problem speaking with their reps.

May next time initiate the CLI over the phone so it can be just the one HP?

But it's certainly your decision either way. I feel bad that another NFCUer isn't "feeling the love".

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 6 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

I'll ask,

Have you pulled your CR's to see what is on them to make sure some zombie/bad debt didn't get thrown in? Outside of that, I don't know what to tell you. NFCU is an awesome lender IMO and well, alot of others opinions as well.

If it's soley utilization, pay it down and see what happens. But there is something on your CR (EQ probably) that they don't like.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Also keep in mind many of the people that reported cli on highly util. cards had very small CL's and after CLI still had smaller credit lines than you... it's different to be maxed out on $2k then it is $10k.

Have you checked status yet, what did they say?

maybe you could try applying for a secon card!

maybe open up a navcheck for $15k to to help with util.

Message 8 of 9
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

EQ is showing two old COs with recent 30 day lates and full balances after 1099Cs were issued. Others have deleted them. Apparently that multimillion dollar booboo has not affected their reporting skill one bit.

Status still pending. I did not have a checking account but I do now, and have to wait to apply for navCheck

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.