cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU trying to weasel out of $ 200 bonus?

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

NFCU trying to weasel out of $ 200 bonus?

This should be 1+1.  The pic via DOC shows a promotion that ran until 10/3/16.  From what I have seen nfcu promos run for 90 days.  I app’ed and was approved for a cash rewards on 8/17 and received and activated the card on 8/29.  I met the $3k spend in a week.  I have tried to get them to honor this several times, the last PM was last night.  The $200 is not a big deal but I cannot figure why they will not honor this.  Below is the dialog from them.  Am I off base here and I have the parameters of the bonus wrong or what?  If someone has a dated splash page from the actual nfcu site that might be helpful.  My interpretation of the 10/3 date means that the spend must be done by that date ergo the account must have been open 90 days prior to this date.  Or not, you tell me as I am credit challenged and thanks.

Subject: $ 200 offer

Your Message 01/21/2017 : Hi, thanks for getting back to me, if we use 10/3/16 as the end date and the promo is $3K in 90 days then it would make the start date sometime in August, right? Let me see the promo you are looking at please and I will drop this forever. Thanks.

Navy Federal Response 01/21/2017 : Thank you for your message. The Navy Federal promotion in which you are referring was offered for a specific and limited time only; for new cashRewards Visa accounts opened from 1 September 2016 through 3 October 20016.

Since your account was established in advance of the promotion's existence, we are unable to extend the promotion to your account. We are sorry that your account was opened some time prior to this event, and understand your disappointment that your account is not eligible for this promotion. However, we endeavor to treat all members fairly and equally, and therefore we regret that we are not able to amend the integrity, terms or span of this offer to accommodate individual situations. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Your Message 01/19/2017 : Hi there, I have been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to get a $ 200 sign on bonus for the cash rewards card I got on 8/17/16. I have called 3 times about this and been told yes I see the bonus by the csr only to have it rejected by the back office. Here is my 4th attempt lol. Attached find a snap of an offer that expired 10/3/16 for a $ 200 bonus for a $3K spend in 90 days. It would seem that my card would fall under this offer.

Please advise and thanks.

nfcu $ 200 offer.PNG

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU trying to weasel out of $ 200 bonus?

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any to (start) date on the promotion picture you posted. I became a member of NFCU on 8/12/2016 and I remember around that time they were offering the 20,000 bonus points on the Go Rewards card as their current promotion. I applied and was approved for my Cash Rewards card on 8/31/2016 and at the time, their current promotion was for the Go Rewards card bonus only and not the $200 Cash Reward bonus; I remember this because the very next day after I was approved, 9/1/16, as NFCU replied to you, they changed the offer from the Go Rewards promotion to the Cash Rewards promotion. I was a little bummed that I missed out on the promotion by one day but was so thankful to be a member of NFCU that I didn't sweat it. So, not calling you a liar, but I do remember most of August being the Go Rewards promotion and then in September it changed to Cash Rewards promotion.  Hopefully it will work out for you, $200 is a lot of money to lose out on if you were expecting it.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

This should be 1+1.  The pic via DOC shows a promotion that ran until 10/3/16.  From what I have seen nfcu promos run for 90 days.  I app’ed and was approved for a cash rewards on 8/17 and received and activated the card on 8/29.  I met the $3k spend in a week.  I have tried to get them to honor this several times, the last PM was last night.  The $200 is not a big deal but I cannot figure why they will not honor this.  Below is the dialog from them.  Am I off base here and I have the parameters of the bonus wrong or what?  If someone has a dated splash page from the actual nfcu site that might be helpful.  My interpretation of the 10/3 date means that the spend must be done by that date ergo the account must have been open 90 days prior to this date.  Or not, you tell me as I am credit challenged and thanks.

Subject: $ 200 offer

Your Message 01/21/2017 : Hi, thanks for getting back to me, if we use 10/3/16 as the end date and the promo is $3K in 90 days then it would make the start date sometime in August, right? Let me see the promo you are looking at please and I will drop this forever. Thanks.

Navy Federal Response 01/21/2017 : Thank you for your message. The Navy Federal promotion in which you are referring was offered for a specific and limited time only; for new cashRewards Visa accounts opened from 1 September 2016 through 3 October 20016.

Since your account was established in advance of the promotion's existence, we are unable to extend the promotion to your account. We are sorry that your account was opened some time prior to this event, and understand your disappointment that your account is not eligible for this promotion. However, we endeavor to treat all members fairly and equally, and therefore we regret that we are not able to amend the integrity, terms or span of this offer to accommodate individual situations. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Your Message 01/19/2017 : Hi there, I have been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to get a $ 200 sign on bonus for the cash rewards card I got on 8/17/16. I have called 3 times about this and been told yes I see the bonus by the csr only to have it rejected by the back office. Here is my 4th attempt lol. Attached find a snap of an offer that expired 10/3/16 for a $ 200 bonus for a $3K spend in 90 days. It would seem that my card would fall under this offer.

Please advise and thanks.

nfcu $ 200 offer.PNG

Maybe I'm missing something but where in the picture for DoC does it say that the promotion was valid at the time you opened the card in August?  If you did indeed open the card outside the promotional dates then you wouldn't be eligible for the bonus.  You are basing this on your assumption that all their promotions run for 90 days?  If so, you're incorrect as they often run ones that last less than that.

Message 3 of 9
stellar
Established Contributor

I think you're confusing the 90 days to spend 3k into the equation.  

The promo itself was only for cards opened in Sept and Oct.  Yours was opened in August.  So you got your card before the promo started.  Therefore you do not qualify for it.

Sorry I know it's a bummer.

Message 4 of 9
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@stellar wrote:

The promo itself was only for cards opened in Sept and Oct.  Yours was opened in August.  So you got your card before the promo started.  Therefore you do not qualify for it.

I am just playing back what I am reading.  It says $3K spend in 90 days and it ends in 10/3.  Does this not land for you where it does for me?  it’s not a bummer, I just want them to pay for a few tanks of fuel if they owe me, that is all.

I have what I posted.  There is no start date but everything to solve the puzzle is in the picture for someone that knows the fine print of promotions.  I do not which is why I posted.  It says it ends 10/3 and says it runs for 90 days.  Does that mean to you that it started 90 days prior to 10/3?  A simple yes or no and your logic is all I am after.   No stories just the facts. Sorry if i am being an idiot and am missing something, its been a long week.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The promotion itself was not available for 90 days.

The cardholder, who was approvied for the card between 9/1/16 and 10/3/16,had to spend $3,000 by the 90th day of cardmembership to get the $200. 

Fact: You opened your Cash Reward card in August. Fact: the promotion was only for cards opened 9/1/16-10/3/16. Fact: no you are not eligible. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@stellar wrote:

I am just playing back what I am reading.  It says $3K spend in 90 days and it ends in 10/3.  Does this not land for you where it does for me?  it’s not a bummer, I just want them to pay for a few tanks of fuel if they owe me, that is all.

I have what I posted.  There is no start date but everything to solve the puzzle is in the picture for someone that knows the fine print of promotions.  I do not which is why I posted.  It says it ends 10/3 and says it runs for 90 days.  Does that mean to you that it started 90 days prior to 10/3?  A simple yes or no and your logic is all I am after.   No stories just the facts. Sorry if i am being an idiot and am missing something, its been a long week.

Thank you.

Nowhere does it says the promotion runs for 3 months with an end date of 10/3.  You are definitely confusing the 90 days that you have to meet the spend requirement and thinking that means that that the promotion started on 7/3 or thereabout.  All the 90 days pertains to is the time period you have to meet the spend requirement and has nothing do with the days that the promotion ran.  NFCU is a great CU and that they wouldn't screw you out of the bonus if you were eligible.  You were not eligible for the promotion so you need to move on :-)

Message 7 of 9
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The promotion itself was not available for 90 days.

The cardholder, who was approvied for the card between 9/1/16 and 10/3/16,had to spend $3,000 by the 90th day of cardmembership to get the $200. 

Fact: You opened your Cash Reward card in August. Fact: the promotion was only for cards opened 9/1/16-10/3/16. Fact: no you are not eligible. 

ah, the 3rd was the last day to get a card.. I thought it was the last day of the spend period.  love facts, many thanks and have a nice weekend

Message 8 of 9
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@stellar wrote:

Thank you.

Nowhere does it says the promotion runs for 3 months with an end date of 10/3.  You are definitely confusing the 90 days that you have to meet the spend requirement and thinking that means that that the promotion started on 7/3 or thereabout.  All the 90 days pertains to is the time period you have to meet the spend requirement and has nothing do with the days that the promotion ran.  NFCU is a great C"u and that they wouldn't screw you out of the bonus if you were eligible.  You were not eligible for the promotion so you need to move on :-)

copy that sir, I have moved on!  mucho thx

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.