Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU unsecured my card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU unsecured my card

@Anonymous wrote:

It strikes me that if service members & their families who honorably served can accept the rules, then everyone else could too. Smiley Sad

+1.

BTW, I'm not eligible and I'm doing fine with those CU's that I can legitimately join.

Message 11 of 19
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Actually I have to respectfully disagree with you all.  Had I not been raised by my grandmother from birth then I would not have gone the direction that I did.   And I grew up in the household with my aunt.  However, I found myself 100% qualified based on any reasonable perspective, without being qualified based on how the requirement is worded.  Legally speaking, had my grandmother adopted me then my aunt would actually be my legal sibling.  But my grandmother did not, so where does that leave me within reason? 

To be sure, an ethical dilemma belies the post --so I will definitely own up to that.  The intention of the post was to report what I observed, not to instruct or inspire deceit. 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChemGuy wrote:

Actually I have to respectfully disagree with you all.  Had I not been raised by my grandmother from birth then I would not have gone the direction that I did.   And I grew up in the household with my aunt.  However, I found myself 100% qualified based on any reasonable perspective, without being qualified based on how the requirement is worded.  Legally speaking, had my grandmother adopted me then my aunt would actually be my legal sibling.  But my grandmother did not, so where does that leave me within reason? 

To be sure, an ethical dilemma belies the post --so I will definitely own up to that.  The intention of the post was to report what I observed, not to instruct or inspire deceit. 

It leaves you reasonably & understandably ineligible.

You didn't get in by any reasonable criteria, which is soley defined by NFCU. By your own admission, you could only gain membership by deceit. That certainly doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Message 13 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ChemGuy wrote:

You can try and couch it in any terms you want but what you did was wrong. It wasn't "sorta" or "kinda" or "halfway" wrong. It was 100% wrong.

And this will be my last comment on the issue.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 14 of 19
orl2185
Established Contributor

@ChemGuy wrote:

I don't think that you actually have to be related to anyone in the military at all !   What you DO need is a person who is willing to give you their access number--basically, the NFCU membership number, and you need to state that they are related to you by one of the NFCU criteria, i.e, sibling etc.  Case in point:  I asked my aunt to help me qualify, and she in turn provided me her access number which I shared with the NFCU--I applied in person.  When the representative asked how I was related to the member I said sibling--which was half-way true, since I was raised by my grandmother.   And I was approved at the time of application.

I think at most they may send a query to the member to determine relationship--thus I told my aunt beforehand what my "relationship" would be--but I don't think they bother.  The fact that someone gave you semi-personal info is probably considered close enough.  YMMV--but I don't think so Smiley Wink

Kudos to you for being so deceitful, 

Smiley Surprised

MODS TY for chimming in.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chasmith wrote:

Opened $3K secured card 12/09 (after BK7 discharge late 11/09).  Got a note in the snail mail today saying they had unsecured, and would raise CL to $1K if it was less.  Not as generous as what I used to hear but helpful all the same.

This may mean that they're near absorbing the merger and back to reviews and auto CLIs...

Congratulations!

i had the same thing happen to my son's secured Visa.  II'm not sure what the merger had to do with anything, though, since most people say Navy federal has never unsecured cards in the past unless one reapplied.

Message 16 of 19
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

When the representative asked how I was related to the member I said sibling--which was half-way true

Do you know what these SERVICEMEN and WOMEN go through? Your just gonna lie on an application to become a member! You are what's wrong with this country, no values at all!

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.navyfederal.org/about/frequently-asked-questions.php

Wouldn't you be considered a "step" grand child? First question up...

Message 18 of 19
myficomatt
Regular Contributor

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

As you can see, you don't even have to be related.  They told me that my roommate would be eligible so ease up on the poster, please.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.