Did you mean: 

NFCU vs AFCU (which is "better")

tag
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU vs AFCU (which is "better")

Yeah I was getting ready to post the link to the AFCU haha

Sorry for late Reply.. Busy Holidays!

Issue being I'm now realizing NFCU he has to become a member himself first Smiley Sad

I am a member of Southwest Airlines CU as well, not too sure I would like to join 3, seems overkill?

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 11 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@angelcred10 wrote:

Yeah I was getting ready to post the link to the AFCU haha

Sorry for late Reply.. Busy Holidays!

Issue being I'm now realizing NFCU he has to become a member himself first Smiley Sad

I am a member of Southwest Airlines CU as well, not too sure I would like to join 3, seems overkill?

Personally I'd recommend he join and you subsequently anyway; I'd recommend the same to anyone who's eligible realistically, size and products make a CU and NFCU ranks very well against virtually any other CU in both.

If we're comparing counts, I'm a member of 5 CU's and only 1 of which was a "mistake" in that I was hoping to build a relationship that never got started and I'm not gold plated enough to walk through the front door to their product lines (Penfed) and mostly equivalent products are being offered now anyway elsewhere.  That said whenever I do need a new car if Penfed is running a promotional APR I'll take the swing regardless as likely several of the others won't be at any given point in time.

        
Message 12 of 15
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think, though I could be mistaken that the OP is asking about the Navy Federal Credit Union vs. the Air Force Credit Union.  Angel, there is no such thing as the Air Force Credit Union.  All members of the military and most family members are eligible to join the NFCU.  It's not just for members of the Navy

I think it's Andrews Federal CU which as I understand it caters to military and overseas in continental Europe.

@I'm a big proponent of joining multiple CU's, never know which one is going to have the product you need at some instant in time... @OP: NFCU is pretty legendary around here for a number of reasons and we don't get that much discussion around Andrews (it is much smaller I think), in your spot I'd simply do both as there's no harm in doing so, and possibly non-trivial upside.

ETA: yeah, might be better in General or Personal Finance but for now leaving it.

Oh right, I forgot about Andrews.  Stupid me as the base isn't that far from me.  But you're right it is much smaller and not talked about much even in Maryland

Yes, There is an Andrews FCU. There are a couple of branches in Burlington County NJ due to the MDL "superbase" nearby.

Since different credit unions offer different products with different benefits, there's no harm in joining multiple credit unions, so you can choose what offers suit you best.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 13 of 15
upnorth
New Contributor

I think the biggest difference between the two unions is that Andrews federal credit union allows non military family membership. One can become a life mmber of the consumer council and be eligible for AFCU unlike NFCU. I am keen for a chip and pin credit card, with no foreign transaction fees and no annual fees. Is AFCU the best option for me, if i do not have an eligible  relative who has served?

this is all because most credit card companies have decided they are after all the hackings at HD Target etc., are still going to make the US the only place in the world with no chip and pin credit it cards. What a disapointment from Chase and others. Any other suggestions for chip and pin crdit cards?

UNFCU Visa Azure $45k, Sams Master Card $35k, Amex Costco $25k, Fidelity Visa $25k, Chase Freedom $18k, Cap 1 Mastercard $12.5k, Kohls $1.5k, Cancelled on my own BA $25 (it was Schwab card earlier) and Chase Saffire $22k. Also have 2 business cards with Chase and 1 Amex Open. AU Target $2500.
Scores: 11/14 EX 801; 11/14 TU FICO 805; 11/14 Van 823
Message 14 of 15
MS103127
New Contributor

I'm a member of both NFCU and AFFCU.  AFFCU is more local to the Lackland AFB/San Antonio area, which is where I discovered them and became a member a few years ago.  Off the top of my head, I don't believe you have to be a member/affiliate of the federal government/military to apply for membership.  They do offer, in my opinion, some attractive rates and products overall.  If you are a fan of CU Rewards, the program is standard with both credit card options -- unsecured and secured.  

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.