Did you mean: 

NFCU

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Little off topic and on the wrong board, but would an installment loan help my credit reports? I know for a short time it would hurt them, but say a couple years down the road after its been paid off awhile. Will it be a good thing?

Yes. The scoring formula likes a mix of credit accounts (revolving, mortgage, installment, etc.) AFAIK you get penalized to some degree for only having revolving accounts (relative to what your score would be with the same revolving accounts and an installment line and/or a mortgage)

An open installment line with 4 to 6 months of GP history will very much help your scores.

Okay, I will go ahead and apply. Little too late for me tonight, but I will let you know how it goes when I apply this week. I may still get the secured loan, then in 6 months talk to NFCU about a CLI and APR reduction unless of course I get a flat out denial now. I honestly wouldn't mind that too much, another HP on the dozen won't hurt any more.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 28
Elcid89
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I do a good amount of lending on prosper, and I would never lend to somebody with a credit report like mine. I find it hard to believe that banks are willing. I have no baddies and utilization is in check, but the short history, new account, high INQs, and large credit lines would signal to me a good chance at default. I am just worried NFCU would see it that way. I haven't seen many people on here with new credit get high limit cards with NFCU.

I appreciate all your feedback, and sorry I am being so difficult..haha

Not all banks are. NFCU is. They very very very much want to capture a client's entire business relationship, and they'll bend over backwards to make that happen.

Not to beat a dead horse, but NFCU won't see it that way. They see it as an opportunity to capture all or most of your business and to build client satisfaction. If they make you happy, you'll grow with them and they'll be the first number you call when you want a future transaction funded.

The limit they give you will depend largely on your income, but again, that's the case with EVERY lender. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but what they offer you in terms of initial CL will match or beat anything you are likely to get anywhere else. This I promise.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 12 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

What is their best no AF card? Just the cash rewards?

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 13 of 28
Elcid89
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Little off topic and on the wrong board, but would an installment loan help my credit reports? I know for a short time it would hurt them, but say a couple years down the road after its been paid off awhile. Will it be a good thing?

Yes. The scoring formula likes a mix of credit accounts (revolving, mortgage, installment, etc.) AFAIK you get penalized to some degree for only having revolving accounts (relative to what your score would be with the same revolving accounts and an installment line and/or a mortgage)

An open installment line with 4 to 6 months of GP history will very much help your scores.

Okay, I will go ahead and apply. Little too late for me tonight, but I will let you know how it goes when I apply this week. I may still get the secured loan, then in 6 months talk to NFCU about a CLI and APR reduction unless of course I get a flat out denial now. I honestly wouldn't mind that too much, another HP on the dozen won't hurt any more.

You can apply online and they are open 24/7.

You won't get a denial. We're not talking about Amex here.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 14 of 28
Elcid89
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

IMO yes. While 1% isn't great, that 1% accrues immediately as transactions post and is available for immediate access. I treat mine like a 1% discount card.

I make purchases throughout the month, hit my firm for the expense reimbursements, and then transfer the 1% accrued cashback to checking immediately before making the payment. When you transfer it to checking, it's available immediately.

Message 15 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Haha, I am going to wait until my flexperks card reports this month. Last month it reported 20% utilization. This month it will be less than 10%. I know it is not needed, but it is the least I can do.

Message 16 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

IMO yes. While 1% isn't great, that 1% accrues immediately as transactions post and is available for immediate access. I treat mine like a 1% discount card.

I make purchases throughout the month, hit my firm for the expense reimbursements, and then transfer the 1% accrued cashback to checking immediately before making the payment. When you transfer it to checking, it's available immediately.

You have a NFCU cash back card? Or are you talking USAA?

Now that I bring up USAA. I also have an account with them, but again. I was planning on waiting for a cc app until my INQ's die down and my new cards age.

Message 17 of 28
Elcid89
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Haha, I am going to wait until my flexperks card reports this month. Last month it reported 20% utilization. This month it will be less than 10%. I know it is not needed, but it is the least I can do.

Your call, but again, you are overthinking this IMO. A good emblem for NFCU would be a picture of a person throwing money at you. It doesn't get anymore generous.

Message 18 of 28
Elcid89
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

You have a NFCU cash back card? Or are you talking USAA?

Now that I bring up USAA. I also have an account with them, but again. I was planning on waiting for a cc app until my INQ's die down and my new cards age.

I have a Cash Rewards Signature and a Flagship Rewards Signature with NFCU. I ran out of space on the signature thing and just gave up trying to fit it all in there.

Message 19 of 28
Elcid89
Contributor

Also, word of advice: I realize that FICO scores are expensive, and I'm too cheap to pay retail for them either.

So what do I do? I call up my friendly loan officer at NFCU Mortgage and have him pull a trimerge once per year. I get all three real FICO scores, and it costs me $11 for all three ...

Just saying ... Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.