Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU

Your call, but again, you are overthinking this IMO. A good emblem for NFCU would be a picture of a person throwing money at you. It doesn't get anymore generous.

Smiley Happy

Thanks for all your advice. I always like apping for things sooner rather than later. As long as I keep current on all accounts, my AAoA/score will be great when I am older. Got everything established as a kid, so after awhile my scores will be rock solid.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

Also, word of advice: I realize that FICO scores are expensive, and I'm too cheap to pay retail for them either.

So what do I do? I call up my friendly loan officer at NFCU Mortgage and have him pull a trimerge once per year. I get all three real FICO scores, and it costs me $11 for all three ...

Just saying ... Smiley Happy

Haha nice. I am always applying for accounts that I regularly see my scores. But I have given up on "real" fico's because it seems like everyone is using something different. But I'd be curious to see how my scores vary between agencies. CK always has me around 750. US Bank credit card department 7 something, US Bank loan department under 680 probably internal score that is harsh against lack of installments. Citi had me at 733.

NFCU has EQ credit monitoring deal with all 3 reports for under $15 per month. I may do that someday. Probably before a mortgage app.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 22 of 28
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Dustink wrote:

Little off topic and on the wrong board, but would an installment loan help my credit reports? I know for a short time it would hurt them, but say a couple years down the road after its been paid off awhile. Will it be a good thing?

Yes,.  a secured loan will help you build good installment history, and the loan will be looked at closely when you go to say... buy a car.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 28
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I do a good amount of lending on prosper, and I would never lend to somebody with a credit report like mine. I find it hard to believe that banks are willing. I have no baddies and utilization is in check, but the short history, new account, high INQs, and large credit lines would signal to me a good chance at default. I am just worried NFCU would see it that way. I haven't seen many people on here with new credit get high limit cards with NFCU.

I appreciate all your feedback, and sorry I am being so difficult..haha

Not all banks are. NFCU is. They very very very much want to capture a client's entire business relationship, and they'll bend over backwards to make that happen.

Not to beat a dead horse, but NFCU won't see it that way. They see it as an opportunity to capture all or most of your business and to build client satisfaction. If they make you happy, you'll grow with them and they'll be the first number you call when you want a future transaction funded.

The limit they give you will depend largely on your income, but again, that's the case with EVERY lender. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but what they offer you in terms of initial CL will match or beat anything you are likely to get anywhere else. This I promise.

This  ^^^^

They will give you good rates on everything Smiley Happy  and they will bend over backward to make everything easy for you...

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 24 of 28
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I do a good amount of lending on prosper, and I would never lend to somebody with a credit report like mine. I find it hard to believe that banks are willing. I have no baddies and utilization is in check, but the short history, new account, high INQs, and large credit lines would signal to me a good chance at default. I am just worried NFCU would see it that way. I haven't seen many people on here with new credit get high limit cards with NFCU.

I appreciate all your feedback, and sorry I am being so difficult..haha

That is why lenders soft you.  Its very common for somone that has an income of 50k have more than half their income in CL.  Now if you got started with a 10k limit and started racking up charges and maxxed it out and carried a balance for some time then I could see your other lenders CLD'ing you

I am in the same boat as you. same history same income.  you also have better credit lines than me.  im curious how you got that freedom with a 5k cl?  anyways i would say go ahead and app now and btw the eq fico score pulled here, nfcu uses the same exact model.  I dont see why they wouldnt start you at 10k.  they are one of a kind.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 25 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think Chase just tried to be in line with my other credit accounts. Although, they did not give me the Freedom Signature. They said I did not apply for it, although I just thought if you got a $5,000 limit you got a signature.

Message 26 of 28
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I think Chase just tried to be in line with my other credit accounts. Although, they did not give me the Freedom Signature. They said I did not apply for it, although I just thought if you got a $5,000 limit you got a signature.

thats what i thought too.  anyways if you app for nfcu and app for the cash rewards if its a limit of at least 5k it will be a sig

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 27 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

In my effort to over think this. I called up NFCU for an installment loan. Instantly approval for an unsecured 6 month loan for $3,000. The funds showed up in my checking account before I was even off the phone with them, that is crazy awesome service. Shows that I can expect good service for a larger loan if I ever need it.

I will pay that off so that my credit report will show an installment loan before my next app spree. If I make a large payment within the next couple days to stop the interest. How will that effect the loan. Will I have small payment for the rest of the term with low interest, or will that just count as payments for the next next couple months and I will pay the same amount in interest?

I didn't have an immediate need for the credit card, so I didn't think it would hurt to wait the 6 months. The rewards on it are also pretty lame. I remembered that I apped for their Flagship card earlier in the year and was declined. So I will give them another 6 months, again all my accounts are new and I have a lot of INQs like I did back when I last apped.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.