Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU

tag
SemperGumby
Contributor

NFCU

So I called NFCU last night and they were extremely nice and helpful.

Unfortunately they can't offer me an account despite being a veteran.  I mistakingly thought that all veterans were eligible.  

Does anyone know if they ever offer open enrollment periods?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Re: NFCU

Unfortunetly no.  This is what irks so many people.  Thank you for your service. 

Now, if you got a roommate who was a member - then you could join - then extend that membership to any family member or roommate you would have.   

Message 2 of 7
RemyWinchester
Contributor

On a related note - you ARE eligible for full USAA membership including their insurance products AND to get PenFed's AMEX Defender (1.5% cash back instantly, no FTFs, no annual fee, 6.99% APR) but only until April!

Message 3 of 7
SemperGumby
Contributor

How is Penfed as far as score requirements?

Message 4 of 7
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Very strict.  You will need all your ducks in a row.  Probably at least a 700 EX with little inquiries. 

They have given me two cards - but low limits ($9.5K total) compared to my USAA/NFCU cards.   But IMO - PenFed is the best lender out there. Also - I'm not sure - but since their Defender card was targeted for Active Military only - they were less strict (which is why I got such a low limit!)  But now for only the next 3 months they have opened the card up to veterans honorably dishcarged (better have your dd214 in order!!!) 

Message 5 of 7
SemperGumby
Contributor

I'm in the mdist of fixing my credit.  Got declined for a USAA card.  Going to go with one of their secured cards while I'm building my credit.

Message 6 of 7
Nobylspoon

How long ago did you seperate? I got out a couple of years ago but because every military contract is technically an 8 year contract, I am IRR until later this year but that qualifies. Any chance you are still IRR status?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.