NFCU

tag
MadTechnologist
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU

@Creditaddict wrote:
Cashrewards is sign after $5k+ CL
Yes ask for $5 to $15k on navcheck

Thanks Creditaddict, as always you've been a HUGE help! I'm definitely glad to hear that the APR reduction is no pull at all, even if it's only once per year, and this month should be 1 year since I've been with NFCU.

I assume since you haven't mentioned Flagship that my hunch is correct and Cash rewards would suit me just fine since I don't do a lot of traveling, especially since Cash rewards can be a VISA siggy with a CL of at least 5k.

Lastly, I'll go ahead and see what they say about maxing out my NavChek. Hopefully it all works out, wish me luck! *fingers crossed*

Starting Score: 611 (02/28/2014 EQ MyFico) 608 (Barclays TU 03/28/14)
Current Score: 665 (05/13/16 EQ) 655 (05/13/16 TU) 672 (05/13/16 EX) Gardening since 04/30/2016
Goal Score: 740+ All Around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 81 of 101
MadTechnologist
Frequent Contributor

Hello All,

Posting an update. My Barclays CC statement closed on Mon, the 23rd, and I just got my "updated" score on Friday. Somehow while waiting on it, some disputed items on my CR were refreshed or "updated" and that caused my CS to go down 2 points. I wasn't happy, but thought no big deal at the time. Well after paying off another CC to $0 from like $1440/$2050, my CS literally only went up 1 point. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper, but hey I wasn't promised a 700 or something like that. 

Despite a more hopeful and better CS, I proceeded with my plan and app'ed for a CLI on my nRewards CC and NavChek. I app'ed for NavChek 1st and then later app'ed for NavChek, and as instructed asked for the full amount for both. As is usual for me, for whatever reason, I got the 3-5 day message on the CC. After 30 min or so, I called in and spoke with a CSR. She informed me that they declined my request and a letter would be mailed to me. I asked if there was a counter and she said they were reviewing it to see if they would give 1, and they would know by tomorrow. Then I asked about NavChek and they transferred me over. After about 5-10 min with CSR and waiting, I was pleasantly surprised they said they approved the full 15K!

Oddly though, when I called back in a little later to ask about signing the new promissary note and reducing the APR on NavChek, the CSR I spoke with said they don't refinance them or something to that effect. I asked the CC CSR about it when I asked about the decision and APR reduction and she said she didn't know and that the APR reduction failed on my CC. Currently my CC APR is 17.6 and my NavChek is 14.7. But she also said NFCU does monthly SPs on accounts, at least on mine every month around the 4th, which is 1 day after my closing date. I wonder if this is just special cases or the new norm.

Anyway, to finish out this book, lol, after checking back after midnight, I can see the extra 10K on my NavChek and another 2.5K on my nRewards CC, which is double my old CL. TBH I'm extremely grateful to NFCU for their generosity and willingness to work with me, and pleasantly surprised as well. However, I wonder if I should push it and app for a Cash Rewards CC, while I can. I was hoping for a better CLI on my nRewards, but I'm most certainly not complaining about it.

IF TL;DR

In Summation:

1. Got a CLI on nRewards CC, 2.5k->5k

2.  Got a CLI on NavChek, 5k->15K

3, Denied APR reduction on both.

4. Wondering if I should app for Cash Rewards CC? Must also note, I plan on asking them (and my other 2 CUs) for a preapproval on auto loan, if that makes a difference. I want to shop for best APR.

Any advice CreditAddict or Baller4Life?

P.S. I also app'ed for CLI on Amazon Store CC from $800 to $5000, hoping for a counter offer, but was declined. Do you think calling backdoor would make a difference?

Current Score: 665 (05/13/16 EQ) 655 (05/13/16 TU) 672 (05/13/16 EX) Gardening since 04/30/2016

Message 82 of 101
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I probably wouldn't apply for another credit card right now with navy.

APR reduction on credit card can be asked for once a year, so mark your calendar now.

Don't think apr reduction on credit line possible.

give amazon another month and try again... they were my last to give me cli despite about 8 tries!

Congrats!

Message 83 of 101
MadTechnologist
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I probably wouldn't apply for another credit card right now with navy.

APR reduction on credit card can be asked for once a year, so mark your calendar now.

Don't think apr reduction on credit line possible.

give amazon another month and try again... they were my last to give me cli despite about 8 tries!

Congrats!

Thanks Creditaddict! As always, you have a wealth of knowledge. I thought it might be asking for much, so that's why I was hesitant. Seems like my hunch was right. So I'll let you guys know how my car hunt goes, wish me luck!

Message 84 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BKFireFly wrote:

@msbia wrote:

@BKFireFly wrote:

HI Guys

As always, thank you for sharing, your continued knowledge is much appreciated. I joined yesterday and apped after logging in and seeing a pre-selected for for cash rewards. Pre-select app would open so I apped for nrewards, and got the 3-5 day message. 

EQ Score: 606

Util like 42%  (I KNOW, I KNOW) Working on it.

1 Missed payment like 3 yrs ago.

Otherwise all payments ontime, and above minimum.

Do you guys think that I will get approved? CL? Should I app for this navcheck  that I keep hearing about?

Thanks so much for any and all input.

I received the same message and by the next day at noon was approved for $12.5k. I immediately app'd for the NavCheck, got the pending message and 24 hours later at noon (today) got the approval for $10k. YMMV but I am pulling for ya!

@msbia

You were right!!!   Logged in today Aprroved $ 8K.   Highest line of Credit.

I am soooooooooooooooooo happy.

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

What were your scores?

Message 85 of 101
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

I put in my app to join Navy Federal last friday and I am waiting for approval!

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 86 of 101
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Call that's to long
Message 87 of 101
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

They said 3 - 5 business days? but ill call now! ill report in a few!

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 88 of 101
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

So i called they spelled my email wrong... but they told me to email in the identification docs ID, SSN. xtra and then call back in 30 mins and they can push the app thru Smiley Tongue thanks CreditAddict i would have waited until i got a letter!

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 89 of 101
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Approved for membership Smiley Happy

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 90 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.