Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFM - Nebraska Furniture Mart?

tag
Ragelog
Established Contributor

NFM - Nebraska Furniture Mart?

Does anyone know who they pull? What their criteria is approval? If they offer Recons on denials? What starting CL's look like on average?

Thanks!

Sam

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFM - Nebraska Furniture Mart?

This sounds like a very limited store card. Is it something you will actually use? It seems more like a one-time shot for some furniture, in which case who it pulls and the other info is largely irrelevant next to what you're purchasing. It is very hard to predict what will happen with a store card like this. 

Message 2 of 38
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I believe their minimum score is 640, and in my case I had to be 1 yr post BK. I never applied, but doing research and making a call to their credit department a year ago, they are pretty decent in approving.
By looking at your scores, you should be just fine! But beware, I've heard that if you default that they are a bitch to work with and they can repossess, and make everything due then. It's in their contract and fine print for the card.
Go to the counter for beat results and know a price in mind example $8k, good luck!
Message 3 of 38
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I would be careful before appying for this credit card. it doesn't appear to be a card that is issued by a Bank or Credit Union. Cards issued by finance companies are actually considered a negative on your credit reports for FICO scoring purposes, as they are considered lenders of last resort.

Now, I don't know if Nebraska Furniture Mart is considered a finance company by FICO or not. But I wouldn't take the risk.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 38
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

NFM is owned by Berkshire Hathaway (think Warren Buffet.) They carry everything! They are a shopping destination and it's easy to spend 4hrs in there and have lunch too. They look at the whole picture, not just your score. They were in my BK in 2009 and they won't even pull my credit.

Message 5 of 38
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

They offer very long terms for free financing. The salespersons are expected to sell, sell, sell so sometimes you can make them an offer. I had one actually turn her back so we could switch lampshades with lamp bases that we liked. Pretty funny!

Message 6 of 38
Ragelog
Established Contributor

They tend to offer 18 up to 60 month in rare circumstances interest free. For pretty much anything a house would need.
EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 7 of 38
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Got this card about 10 years ago when buying a new bedroom set.  My credit score was nowhere near what it is now and I got a $6k CL - don't remember who they pulled.  Following my divorce and desire to not be constrained by what my salary could afford I missed a few payments.  When I came back to my senses and started to rebuild my credit I e-mailed the credit department for some assistance.  They were very willing to allow me to continue using the card and pull the reporting of the card to not influence my score.  Have always had wonderful customer service with them and agree that you can have a great time in the store with all the possibilities.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 8 of 38
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

Hey BigBs....so you just got behind , but you paid in full? I really liked their card!

Message 9 of 38
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@IaBoy62 wrote:

Hey BigBs....so you just got behind , but you paid in full? I really liked their card!

Yes, just late.  Didn't PIF just made payments (above the minimum) each month.  Never thought of it before joining this forum, but I can max the card out and not affect my credit score since it's not reporting.  Don't know what I'd buy for $6k, but who knows.  Haven't used it much over the last 5 or 6 years, but the things I have purchased were shipped quickly.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.