cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO ANNUAL FEE credit cards for fair/poor credit???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NO ANNUAL FEE credit cards for fair/poor credit???

I'm still trying to learn all the abbreviations they're using on this forum, but i think EO means executive office.

Message 31 of 40
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
But the OP is specifically asking for "NO ANNUAL FEES", doesn't the Platinum card have an AF? Mine did...unless somethings changed within the last two months

Both of my platinum cards with Cap One have annual fees also!

Current FICOs: (11-02-15) EQ- 623 (628) / EX- 643 / TU- 679
Starting FICOs: (May 2014) Low to mid 500s (all 3 bureaus)
GOAL: As HIGH as possible! All 3 FICOs above 680/700 will be NICE!!!
Total Credit Limits- $104,120
Message 32 of 40
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

Store cards? If there's a store you like to shop at and it has a Visa/MC upgrade, you can start with the store version and then upgrade later. 

You bring up a great point which I was actually wondering about but hadn't yet posted.  Last month, I was approved for two store cards: Amazon.com and Walmart (both of which I shop at FREQUENTLY).  How many months would I have to wait (or typically for any cardholder) to UPGRADE to the Visa/MC version?  Thanks for the info!

Message 33 of 40
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer to my question, but someone out there may just prove me wrong!  There are several credit cards with no annual fees for excellent/good credit, but what about fair/poor credit?  Are there any credit cards with NO ANNUAL FEE(S) for poor/fair credit?  As the saying goes, "a closed mouth doesn't get fed!"  Smiley Happy  Any feedback is appreciated!

CapOne Journey Visa, Discover it Students, Chase Amazon Rewards Visa, Barclays NFL Visa, CapOne Platinum MasterCard $0 annual fee the FIRST year then $19, it is different than the CapOne CLASSIC Platinum MasterCard that charges $39 annual fee............They are all for FAIR Credit... Smiley Wink

Thanks for the reply!  I actually have both versions of the CapOne card that you referred to.  I have the Amazon.com store card (just got it last month).  I wanted to app of the Rewards Visa through Chase but thought I might be denied so I just went for the store card version.  Barclays denied me for the Rewards MasterCard last month so I feel they're apt to do the same for the NFL Visa...  I asked this question to another poster earlier, but can I apply for a student credit card even if I have recently graduated/no longer a student???

Message 34 of 40
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@creditfan wrote:

Journey Student Rewards Credit Card

I graduated from college this May, and I am no longer a student.  Can I still app for this card?

I've been told yes, I could be your mother, and probably still get it.

LMAO!!!  Thanks!

Message 35 of 40
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

Try for a Capital One platinum card with no rewards. If you are a member of a credit union, you can also ask them if they have a credit card you can apply for.

I have two Capital one cards, and BOTH have annual fees.  I applied for the Classic Platinum MasterCard in May and was approved; that card has a $39 annual fee.  I applied for the Platinum MasterCard (not the "Classic" version) last month and was approved, and that card has a $19 annual fee (slightly better).  I think the only version of the Cap One Platinum that doesn't have an annual fee is the "Prestige," but on the site it states it's for consumers with "Excellent Credit."

go to their customer service chat, and ask if you can convert that platinum master card for quicksilver one card, it's still 39 annual fee, but at least the reward will cover the annual fee, because those rewards adds up quite fast. and as for 19 bucks annual fee one, ask if you can convert it to  prestige card. I mean it doesn't hurt to ask, right? worst they can do is say no, and that's it, it's not like they're gonna lower your credit limit or anything.

They actually converted my Classic MC with the $39 annual fee to the Quicksilver One about a month ago which is definitely better since it is a rewards card.  For that card though I only have a $300 limit!  I never want my utilization to go OVER 9-10% so I can spend like $30 at a time which really sucks...  I think I will call them and ask about the upgrade to the Prestige for the other line of credit.  You're right; it doesn't hurt to try!

Message 36 of 40
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm still trying to learn all the abbreviations they're using on this forum, but i think EO means executive office.

Gotcha, thanks!

Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ERoosky99 wrote:

They actually converted my Classic MC with the $39 annual fee to the Quicksilver One about a month ago which is definitely better since it is a rewards card.  For that card though I only have a $300 limit!  I never want my utilization to go OVER 9-10% so I can spend like $30 at a time which really sucks...  I think I will call them and ask about the upgrade to the Prestige for the other line of credit.  You're right; it doesn't hurt to try!

I think you are on capital one's credit steps program, which is if you make payment on time for 5 month, you'll get credit increase on 6th or something. might wanna ask them about it as well, if they say no, then ask them for credit limit increase (or they might tell you to wait 6 months or something). I had quicksilverone, but I didn't wanna pay for annual fee, so I asked them to convert it to ventureone card, and that was 2 months after opening quicksilverone card. So I think you have chance to ask them to upgrade your quicksilverone to either quicksilver or ventureone card.

Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 months out of a BK I got an offer for the Capital One Platinum Visa with no annual fee for a $500 CL.  After 5 months it jumped up to a $2000 CL automatically in their credit steps program.  A couple months after that they offerred me the Quicksilver Card (standard Quicksilver, no annual fee).  After 5 months with that one it jumped automatically to a $4000 CL.  Those are the only two cards I have, and the only pulls I had were for those two cards. I'm not sure what effect that would have on them giving out a no annual fee card to me but it's worth noting. 

Message 39 of 40
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@ERoosky99 wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

Store cards? If there's a store you like to shop at and it has a Visa/MC upgrade, you can start with the store version and then upgrade later. 

You bring up a great point which I was actually wondering about but hadn't yet posted.  Last month, I was approved for two store cards: Amazon.com and Walmart (both of which I shop at FREQUENTLY).  How many months would I have to wait (or typically for any cardholder) to UPGRADE to the Visa/MC version?  Thanks for the info!

Well, Amazon.com's Visa is underwritten by Chase, a different bank than the store card so that wouldn't have an upgrade. People have reported no-rhyme-no-reason to getting Walmart upgrades but I'm sure with responsible use it could come. I know Nordstrom has a store card that can be upgraded to the Siggy although even the store card has stricter underwriting than some other store cards. Store cards can also just be good for building your credit until you are ready for some prime bank cards. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.