Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO Dice with Amex Backdate....

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: NO Dice with Amex Backdate....

@texaspete2012 wrote:

I'm very glad they did this. As an AU it's not really your account anyways, and therefore you shouldn't be able to get backdating.

Very Glad? Wow, I think there might be 300 posts on this board about back dating as and AU. Amex gold is not a ZERO AF card, so I think we can hope for some benefits, esp. since it has been a policy for years to award AU this privilege. Thanks for your two cents .

You should get some benefits, it's just that backdating shouldn't be one of them. There are still other reasons to have an Amex.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 21 of 27
distantarray
Established Contributor

in all fairness AAOA is a bull crud way to factor your score, Amex used to give an edge for being a customer. For instance if I had a Capital One Platinum for 10 years then upgraded and got a Capital One Venture for rewards. Why should my credit score suffer because I changed cards within the same company??? 10 years would go to 5 if those two cards were the only ones reporting. THERE IS NO REASON A LOYAL CUSTOMER should get hurt just for signing up with a better program.

Also if you go to a restaurant and eat, a new restaurant comes out is it right for the old restaurant owner to talk crud about you damaging your reputation to the new restaurant owners calling you a traitor? cause that's basically how AAOA works. If you get ANY new account it hurts you. Doesn't make you a higher risk for anything. Especially if your within the same company. I'm sure a lot of people would sacrifice their old card to upgrade within the same company if they allowed that without sacrificing AAOA.

Amex backdating isn't 100% perfect but it's still A LOT more fair than any other credit card companies in the industry.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 22 of 27
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I'm very glad they did this. As an AU it's not really your account anyways, and therefore you shouldn't be able to get backdating.
Very Glad? Wow, I think there might be 300 posts on this board about back dating as and AU. Amex gold is not a ZERO AF card, so I think we can hope for some benefits, esp. since it has been a policy for years to award AU this privilege. Thanks for your two cents

Don't take CreditScholar's opinion too much to heart.  He has much wisdom in the ways of credit, but his talent for empathy is hampered because he had the misfortune to grow up somewhere where practically everyone had Amex Centurion cards. Poor fellow.  Smiley Wink

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did it this month. First AMEX/AU in '12. Original member was since 07. Website now says I was member since 07, my credit report states opened 07 (with the history), and card says 07 after I called them to let them know the initial card I received mistakenly said Member Since 12.

I think what happens is that people hear and regurgitate the same bad information over and over. 

Message 24 of 27
texaspete2012
Established Member

Thanks, xl !

Do you rember who you spoke to at amex? And do you think its going to be a problem since the account that  I  had been an AU on was closed by the member? 

Thank You Again.

Amex Gold (NSL) 9/12
Chase Freedom (2200) 5/12
Citi Thank You Pref. (7000) 4/12
USAA AMEX (4000) 11/12
BOA VISA SIG CASH (5000) 12/12
Amex Gold Small Biz (NSL) 11/12
Message 25 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:
Very Glad? Wow, I think there might be 300 posts on this board about back dating as and AU. Amex gold is not a ZERO AF card, so I think we can hope for some benefits, esp. since it has been a policy for years to award AU this privilege. Thanks for your two cents

Don't take CreditScholar's opinion too much to heart.  He has much wisdom in the ways of credit, but his talent for empathy is hampered because he had the misfortune to grow up somewhere where practically everyone had Amex Centurion cards. Poor fellow.  Smiley Wink

Empathy isn't warranted here. The issue isn't about backdating, but backdating when you were an AU and not the primary cardholder. If it was your account that you obtained with your own credit, then I can understand this. However assuming that you should get backdating when you had no part in earning that Amex card simply sounds self-entitled. I was an AU on my parents centurion, but I wouldn't expect backdating for that alone. They earned that right and the credit profile it required, not me. Therefore I should not be entitled to the backdating benefit. if it's simply a matter of being an AU, someone could sell AU cards (but not physically give them to the buyer) just to improve someones FICO. Are they deserving of backdating too? They didn't have to contribute anything to earning it either.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 26 of 27
RyVision
Valued Contributor

To clear something up;  no one is EVER an "AU" on an AMEX card\account.   They are an ADM (Additional Card MEMBER) and as such,  if they are an adult, they can be held financially responsible for that account as well as the Primary account holder.  

So I can see the logic of them being able to retain the date they were added as an ADM when they apply for their own AMEX.  It's almost like being a joint account holder.

And truth be told, there are some responsibilities being an AU on any account, these usually pop up if the Primary account holder passes away.  Know the facts before assuming anything regarding that.

Sadly, due to policy changes that occurred November of 2011, the reps, even in the CB dept are more than confused and going with the safest option regarding the subject, and that is to say no, to almost anything regarding something along the line of "BackDating" even if they're wrong.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.